What about having a good, POWERFUL opening?
“How one letter makes me over $9,000 a month and I don’t even have to mail it!”
Copywriting for real estate investors.
This going to be partly done by me and partly by Azam.
So it is me that is using this letter and I made an intro to how to use the letter below. I’m new to copy writing and how to use words in print to gain compliance, and I’m new to real estate too by the way lol. I always struggle with starting so I asked Azam to do a class on that too.
This is brilliant stuff, for realz.
If you are in real estate AND want to know about copy writing and how they merge then this class is totally for you and also check out the other epic post on copywriting for real estate investors.
First about COPY WRITING then the letter
You can scroll down and get the actual letter that we will be using.
Before that though you should understand the basics about how to use/create copy.
You can build a full side business around this one idea so it is a good idea to know about it.
Holey Moley Guys today is going to be brilliant, a few titles for today’s class:
How this ONE letter makes me over $9,000 a month and I don’t even have to mail it.
How any real estate investor can use this ONE motivated seller source (that EVERYBODY has heard of) in an unheard way to make over $2,000 a week with a single letter… and I’ll even give you the letter for FREE…
A master class on copywriting for real estate investors, how a SINGLE letter can make you 9 grand a month and how (and WHY) you need to get better with words… a crash course on first sentences.
Think about these things here…
– The Shawshank Redemption is considered to be one the best movies ever made, yet it only made $50M when released BUT over twice that since then because of usage and rights on TV, cable, etc. Even some MINOR actors are still getting checks of $500 – $1,000 a month from it…
– The Beatles haven’t released an album since 1970 but the Michael Jackson estate (who owned the rights to their catalog was making over $30M/year on it) was paid over $750M for half of the rights back, the royalties are still making $70 – $100M… over $60,000 pounds a day from a business that was shut down over 50 years ago… think about that…
– Michael Jordan played in the NBA for 15 years and made a total of $90M in his career while playing basketball… today his royalties from the “Jumpman” deal with Nike make him over $100M a year… for doing NOTHING…
The lesson is clear: BUILD something that keeps paying you (pretty much) forever.
– If you get better at copy writing and creating campaigns that increase transactions and the value of a business then you can get paid ROYALTIES just like the examples above and use a SINGLE letter to make $10,000, $50,000, $100,000 a month and more for the 10 years and even longer…
– The key to doing this is get better at the copy writing and also the process of EMOTIONAL ASSIGNMENT so that your compliance gaining is predictable and scalable.
Million Dollar Idea/Model:
Take a TOP salesperson’s presentation, transcribe it, then send it in the mail
– You’ll have to “clean it up” first… today you’ll see how to FRAME it better, use HEADLINES, then SUB HEADLINES and then two three sentence paragraphs in between the SUB headlines.
– Once you have a process that goes through the Five Crowds you have an entire business.
– You can get paid for delivering it back to the company but then ALSO renting it out (licensing) to other companies and getting residuals that way.
Basically this is badass stuff
– First we’ll go over the actual letter
– Then we’ll go over copy in general and how it relates to EVERYTHING
– Then I’ll do something people have axed me for a LONG time, I will break down how to use famous sentences and “borrow” them to make residual money with GREAT letters and openings
– Yes I’ll be going over how to tell great stories and the ONE secret to compliance and answering what is almost ALWAYS the number one toughest question that new/old copy writers have and yes that ONE massive secret to COMPLIANCE ALWAYS
– FINE I’ll tell you the secret right now, your message MUST in some way… control emotion.
Yes, it’s all about our fewwings…
– The most powerful people in the world get/stay in power by controlling emotion
– Specifically, since you aren’t going to be doing this with a gun or force (hopefully) you’ll have to get REALLY good with words
– Today I’ll go over how to make sure you NEVER get writer’s block, that you ALWAYS know where to start and exactly how to use famous, time-tested emotion-triggering words and stories to get people to do sh**
You can download the letter for free HERE.
FIRST – let’s go over this letter, here’s a quick intro from Anna.
Motivated sellers from expired listings, how this one letter is making 9 grand a month, and I’m not even mailing it LOL.
So please watch this before you watch Azam’s class
– I asked Azam to do a class on copywriting about this
– In that class he will break down the letter and a lot of other stuff, like how to START your copy better with some great examples, I LOVE this stuff and could watch and listen for hours the class is amazing and brilliant so please check it out I think you’ll love it
– This is exactly how I been learning how to write compliance in print better
A piece of copy can be an ad, letter, email, voicemail script, dialog sales script, THANK YOU letters, referral letters, text, receipts, etc. anything written, read or spoken.
There are (more than) five easy ways to make money with copy
– Improve a current piece
– Improve a past piece that is not being used
– Use the same piece better, like with a better targeted list
– Get a piece from another source and bring it over (an MFM)
– Start from zero, do NOT EVER do this when you starting out
The story behind the letter
– I asked one of my agents for a letter that wasn’t working, it was an expired listing letter
– I worked on it by meeting with sellers and getting feedback
– Then I would use it with expired listing but also regular homeowners
I would meet with a seller or realtor or call or email them:
– Hi, I just got 42 buyers to the house over on Elm Street and I’m looking for sellers who need to sell so I can test out this marketing method
– Sometimes I send this letter to people who REALLY need help but they don’t reply, can you look at these two and tell me which you think is better?
– In general Mr. Seller how can I get through to sellers in this neighborhood when they think they’ve already heard it all before, how do you suggest I let them know I can help them?
I got some good ideas, but often I would convert the sellers on the spot LOL
– You can see the full letter below, feel free to steal it and use it however you want just make sure to send me a testimonial
– Remember you do NOT need any money, my realtors are paying me about half their commission or sometimes 30-40% on top of the deals I do with the sellers and with lease options I try to make 5-10k up front
– So even if I meet with 20 sellers a month or just five a week I can make sure to make the 10-15k/month extra, but I’m going with 9k/mo because that is the worst so far
You can download the letter for free HERE.
Thanks so much! = )
~ Indy Anna
That was the $9,000 a month letter. You can download the letter for free HERE.
More than ANYTHING else the most important skill as a real estate investor, business owner or entrepreneur is your DIALOG…
… think of copy writing as your dialog in print.
The better you learn this skill, the further you will go.
When I learned how valuable this was I paid and did whatever it took to learn how to write good copy. Once you have this skill you can almost literally write your own check. Much the same way John Lennon famously said “Let’s write a swimming pool.” In fact Paul McCartney has a great quote on this:
“Somebody said to me, ‘But the Beatles were anti-materialistic.’ That’s a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, ‘Now let’s write a swimming pool.’ We said it out of innocence. Out of normal, fucking working-class glee that we were able to write a ‘swimming pool.’ For the first time in our lives, we could actually do something and earn money.”
I paid over 30k to learn from the best copy writer alive
– I wrote out ads and entire letters by HAND (not typing)… yeah…
– To this day I can recite entire letters from memory
– It has totally eliminated writer’s block and I can get into the mode with anything
– I created a series of Algo for this “If you’re a (TARGET) that wants to (BENEFIT) without (PAIN) then this will by the most important letter you read all year…”
– To START brilliantly is the key, it hooks people and they comply seemingly without choice
SO… I will go over a KILLER way to open and tell great stories that lead to COMPLIANCE…
When I got trained…
– I was made to WRITE out by HAND entire ads and letters, it has been wired in my mind…
– Also the “Greatest Copywriter Ever” told me a story about somebody he trained to write a letter for “boner pills” and he came back with a standard “rock hard all night long” type of letter…
– To fix that made the student CALL and talk to buyers, and you know what he found? The secret to selling ANYTHING and EVERYthing…
– It is all about the CORE EMOTION… in this case it was older men feeling guilty about not getting/keeping erections for/with their wives of 50+ years…
– So if THAT is the emotion – GUILT – what good does the average approach make? But they would dig in… it starts with “pleasure her and make her moan for hours”… and then it just gets worse as it their response rate plummets… “Fu** her brains out… when I was done with her she was practically illiterate”… then to a point of crazy… “Pound her pu**y until she is in a coma!”… (sigh)…
CALL THEM UP… that’s a big secret that NOBODY does and it is how Anna has made so much from this letter.
Why is Anna making so much money from that ONE letter?
– First she asks sellers over the phone and IN person to evaluate it.
– She emails sellers and asks their honest opinion.
– She ask brokers… then asks realtors… then asks realtors to ask their sellers.
How did we do deals “hot markets”
– Phoenix Arizona, after the 2007 stuff when new home builders OVER built so you could buy the $250k – $350k houses for $80k – $100k, same thing with Vegas but they had a LOT more rules… but with all the competition how can you beat them all?
– These markets are easy to find by the way (average income $50k – $60k, houses after corrections you can buy 250k+ houses for $100k or less.
– How do we beat others? Taking the letter/s and going door to door (something nobody will do) and TALK to the people about the letters they get which ones they reply to and what goes in the BIG bucket of junk that they get. Now you know the best ones and you take the other ones and build your investor list.
– Same with magic shows when I called and asked found out that they wanted to LEARN a trick or two so I doubled the price and did a class too. Docs wanted to know that their staff wouldn’t have to learn new stuff for software, etc.
– Also “Million Dollar Challenge” I bought 10M worth of homes in less than 10 hours… it worked but not as well as I wanted when I called heard: “Of course you can do it Azam!” Then I focused on one of the camera men, Jimmy D, then the letter did 3-5x better.
Then I did a challenge to pick a random person to make 10k in 90 days, he did in 14k in two weeks $1k/day THAT was a win, then I picked an unemployed gal and she did 10k/mo… then challenge to take an entire room and GUARANTEE everybody leaves with a deal in their area… 100 people and 100 deals…
I learned all this and my whole focus changed based on the CALLS.
GET ON THE PHONE.
– Do NOT assume that you got the right message MAKE SURE, this step few will take and the calibrations based on conversations will pretty much NEVER happen NOBODY will do this so this is how you can develop a campaign that produces for YEARS…
– This also relates to something called “Curse of Knowledge” or cognitive bias, Stanford experiment done by Elizabeth Newton found 1 in 40 people could discern “Happy Birthday” when tapped out. What is in your head is NOT what gets in their head, your skill of compliance requires that you simplify so what YOU SAY is what THEY HEAR… and do. To avoid this MAKE SURE you get clear.
– The point is that talking to people, on the phone or in person, can help you get more direct knowledge of what it takes to have high compliance.
In other words the BIG secret to putting together a campaign and a letter series that produces and pays you for years, that basically becomes an entire business in a single Word document or letter, is getting DIRECT feedback by talking to people.
Nobody will do this, even if they somebody like me to teach it to them they STILL won’t. Use this to your advantage.
Speaking of high compliance here is a good move for that:
– You can put ANYTHING in the “return address” so focus on centers of influence and turn them into testimonials then use THEIR name (with permission of course) in the return address
– So a doc gets a letter from another well known doc in the area, a big realtor from another big realtor, etc. This will get the letter opened for SURE. Then use a simple cover letter: “Hey Rob here’s why I’m telling you about the guys I got my computer from… I just did some real estate deals with… who just tripled my business in less than 90 days flat…”
– So it isn’t JUST a better headline but the SAME exact campaign but from the RIGHT person can change the entire math of a business… What return name/address would GUARANTEE your target will open? Pets are great too, somebody sent me a picture of two Eclectus and it said from Eago and Zazu – BRILLIANT!
This is also how to create VIRALITY in your campaigns so one feeds the next and feeds the next and feeds the next and a single good campaign can be used for years.
This is also how a TINY change makes all the difference
– An entire business can succeed or fail based on a SINGLE headline
– In the example above the letter being framed that way more than tripled several multi-million dollar companies, it was the “headline”
– Just a TINY word or phrase can do all of that, you’ll see more later
The biggest questions you had when it came to writing copy:
– What exactly is copy and when does it apply? (everything from your emails, voicemails, scripts, rebuttals, questions, framing, handwritten THANK YOU notes, notes to yourself, scripting with your team, chats, texts, Skype auto-replies, email signatures, etc. ANY time you use words that are written/documented.)
– For people familiar with copy they ask about HOW TO START… how to kick off a great letter
– How do I tell GREAT stories that HOOK my people?
– How do I keep my people, my FANBASE, tuned into me and EMOTIONALLY INVESTED in my message and mission.
– What should I be reading and what lessons should I take away from other works? Can I use fiction to model after? What exactly can I borrow and how?
– How do I connect my message to famous events or big news stories?
– Can you help tell us exactly what authors, books, works that you use to model after or exactly how to gain compliance by using existing works?
– How can I get somebody else to write for me? (careful on this one and remember you STILL need to know what works…)
– How can retell great stories but in such a way that they sound unique and original so I get the credit for coming up with them even when I ADMIT it is borrowed?
– How do I connect my message to famous writings of the past?
– What is the formula for telling a GREAT story WHILE selling my sh** at the same time… how can I apply this to my real estate business?… what about other businesses and industries…?
… and a LOT more…
I’m going to give you the framework – the skeleton, the outline and then you can apply anything you want over that. The emotion is the hard part, once you have that hook everything else is easy.
What you’ll be able to do when we’re done here:
– You’ll know exactly how to start your copy and make it KILLER opening
– You’ll know how to tell some of the best stories EVER (yeah… for realz…)
– ALSO you’ll learn the exact words to use to make sure you seamlessly move from the story and the Emotion Build RIGHT to the close and compliance move
– You’ll know famous lines, conversation starters and all kinds of history ‘fun facts’ stuff that will help you become a generally more interesting person
– You’ll understand how to build, create and buy new businesses at will by using your new found copy writing skill, this isn’t hard and you’ll travel at the speed of light past all the mediocre masses and be able to skip to the front and be a compliance gaining machine
– You’ll learn about books you should be reading and surrounding yourself with and the kinds of words you need to start using to build your businesses
– Overall you’ll know more about how to write compelling, converting copy and HAVE FUN at the same time (which is beautiful and possibly the biggest secret in the world)
So let’s get started…
But NOT from zero because starting from zero SUCKS…
Starting from zero SUCKS:
– Who hasn’t been through the awful experience of sitting in front of a blank page with its toothless mouth grinning at you?
– Windowless wall, empty desert, ocean of nothing, deafening silence screaming at you
– Do NOT start from zero
Nine quick and easy ways to make money with copy writing:
– You can improve a current piece (headline!)
– You can improve the way it is being used
– You can use one from the past with NO changes, just tracking
– You can improve a previous piece
– You can import a piece
– You can import better uses (selects)
– You can have a marketing “Deathmatch” to find a champions (ALWAYS do this)
– You can use testimonials BETTER, they can even be the whole piece you’ll never find a business that does this too well… I PROMISE.
– You can start from ZERO… the hardest and usually worst way
When writing advertisements the single most important part of ANY ad is the headline. It is the ad for the ad. Nobody reads anything else first, they MAY look at a picture and possibly read the caption but then their eyes will focus right up to the HEADLINE.
Can an entire business be started from a single headline?
– Overworked real estate investor needs help, I’ll teach you the business.
– Empty Nesters need help: I’ll trade you my 5BD 4BA house for your 3BD 2BA house…?
– I’ll put your house on AirBNB and we’ll split the profits.
– If you and your clients are in LOVE with your logo, then you can stop reading this.
– I’m doing an experiment with “crowd funding” to help a local business raise $50,000 – $100,000.
It is like the ad for the ad.
So it better be good. Hollywood studios have learned to spend MILLIONS on making good movie trailers and using the audience reactions to measure, with great accuracy, how well a movie will do based on how well received a movie’s trailer is.
Now studios are putting a quick 3-second trailer FOR the trailer at the start.
This is ALL about the HOOK.
They need to get you to pay attention, keep paying attention and then DO something when the message is done. You have the exact same goal… and challenges.
This is NOT just about writing headlines but OPENINGS.
The difference is not always clear because a good opening CAN be used as a headline but it doesn’t have to be. In the video above as I was talking with Indy Anna I explained that she could’ve started the letter off with the story about Vilfredo Paretto and it may do better.
That’s what got us talking about how to start a letter or a story that ultimately ends in in compliance. So today you and I will go on a more academic approach and talk about authors and literature throughout history that was able to HOOK their audience from the start and take them on a journey.
Want to learn how to write? Then learn how to read.
Stephen King, in his helpful book/guide “On Writing“, said you should read at least three times as much as you write and if you don’t have time to read that much, you won’t have time to write that much either. In fact King is a good place to start when it comes to an opening here’s what he said:
“There are all sorts of theories, it’s a tricky thing. But there’s one thing I’m sure about… An opening line should invite the reader to begin the story. It should say: Listen. Come in here. You want to know about this.”
Powerful words from an artist.
He went on to say:
We’ve talked so much about the reader, but you can’t forget that the opening line is important to the writer, too. To the person who’s actually boots-on-the-ground. Because it’s not just the reader’s way in, it’s the writer’s way in also, and you’ve got to find a doorway that fits us both.
The opening line doesn’t just invite and compel the reader to take the journey but it must invite and compel the writer to create it
Stephen King on why he spends months or even YEARS coming up with an opening sentence, also more tips he has on how the open and the HOOK is what determines your success as a writer. Some of King’s favorite opening lines are here. According King his best first sentence was for his 1991 book Needful Things:
“You’ve been here before.”
I’ll give you a few good examples, but first you should know the pattern.
A champion example in copy…
– Racehorse Man of War 1919 – 1920 raced 21 times and won 20 with one surprising and shocking lost, to a horse named “Upset” and since then when the underdog beats the favorite it is called an “upset”. (later I explain that is not the full origin)
– As a business owner we always APPEAR to the outside world as the underdog, so when the chips are stacked against us it is important to remember “You’ve been here before.”
– We only learn from mistakes but they don’t have to be ours, it is best to learn from somebody who HAS been beaten down and been “there” before instead of having to go to the basement yourself, one insight from them can save you decades so instead of saying to yourself “You’ve been here before” to talk yourself out of a negative situation you can say “I’ve never been this high before”… then go on the MFM piece… don’t limit yourself to learning only from times when “You’ve been here before” and instead FROM people who have “been there before”…
How to use great sentences in your copy in FIVE easy steps
– Remember from the Humor Class? Punchline – Parallel – Borrow the Punchline
– You do the same kind of thing here —> say the sentence —> give context —> state the lesson and Transition —> start the Parallel —> Borrow the lesson
– You’ll see several examples and while we do it ask yourself how YOU can apply these
We call this the Great Sentence Stealing or Sentence Structuring.
Before you ask no this will not work your area, I’m sure of it.
All this focus on JUST ONE sentence Azam?
Yes. In fact if the sentence is good enough it can be an entire short story all by itself. Legend has it that Ernest Hemingway was at lunch with friends and they each put down $100 into a pile and made a bet. They bet Hemingway that he could not come up with a short story in just six words.
Hemingway took out a napkin and wrote:
Brilliant, right? It has been said that a novel is contained in those six words. As the (false) story goes after blowing away all his friends at the table, Hemingway collected his winnings. The story itself is good, but the story about the story is pretty good too. That’s why it has lasted, but…
Hemingway did NOT write it
The first mention of a story like this was in May of 1910 (Hemingway was 10 years old at the time) when The Spokane Press ran an article titled “Tragedy of Baby’s Death is Revealed in Sale of Clothes.” In the article the author mentions an advertisement that ran a week earlier offering baby items that had “never been used“.
Then about seven years in a journal called “The Editor”, the editor in charge William R. Kane wrote about the idea that mother had lost her baby and found eventual acceptance of this tragedy in a symbolic gesture by giving away the “Little Shoes, Never Worn.”
That wasn’t it…
A few years later in 1921 the comedy magazine “Judge” ran a similar story. The Judge magazine was very influential during it’s run from the 1880s until the 1940s. Many of their editors and employees started or influenced publications that are influential today, one Judge editor was Harold Ross who went on to start The New Yorker for example.
The version of the story that Judge went with was a baby carriage being offered, and not because a baby died but because twins had been born.
So why does Hemingway get credit for this story?
This is a great lesson in marketing.
There was NO attachment at all to this story and Hemingway during his entire lifetime and for decades after. It wasn’t until 1991 in a book on helping writers to get published that author Peter Miller recounted the story. A year later another author, John Colombo, told the same story and even presented a supposed letter from well known writer Arthur C. Clarke confirming the story.
The a few years later in the 1990s another writer John DeGroot wrote a play called “Papa” which also credited Hemingway with coming up with the famous six word story. Later DeGroot told Playbill magazine (a monthly publication for theatergoers that has been in circulation since the 1880s) that whether or not the story “actually happened… we’ll never know truly.” Except we do know.
Why the heck does it matter so much Azam?
This business very, very short stories is actually a big deal to us. A very, very big deal.
The idea of telling an entire story while being constrained to using the minimum amount of words or sentences, is a brilliant concept that we use in our teaching and training. This “six word story” eventually became part of, and helped pioneer, the genre called flash fiction. Soon Cosmo Magazine (which has also been around since the 1880s) started producing collections of what they called the “short short story” and the American Short Short Story. The Smith Magazine publication, a magazine to help story tellers, used this story as the basis for their very successful “Six-Word Memoirs” as well.
Also below I’ll post the video Azam’s epic post on copy writing for real estate investors.
The One Sentence HORROR Story
The One Sentence HORROR Story
We use this with our special needs kids to help them learn spelling, grammar, writing, etc. We are also starting to use to these collections to raise money. Very cool stuff.
We use this a lot in our work with students and the Special Needs Heroes
– It helps to make writing “cool” and to develop that skill in a way that is a GAME, we’re all about the gamification
– We are starting to share these and the results may be monetized on YouTube if you get a chance to do this or be a part of it please help support us THANK YOU!
– Now we are doing one sentence love stories, comedies, mysteries, etc.
Example: I woke up today and brushed my teeth…
– Now we take each word and come up with different meanings, syntax, etc.
– Then we apply nouns, verbs, imagery, etc.
– We brainstorm variations and come up with great results that everybody reacts to…
This morning I brushed my teeth…
… and realized they were getting smaller every time I touched them…
… but no matter how hard I try I can’t get the blood out…
… I wanted them clean before my execution…
… It’s getting harder to hide the fangs…
… I’ve been asleep for over 734 years…
… I had twice as many as yesterday…
… right before I sharpened them…
… and noticed two were missing…
… all 376 of them…
(could be teeth on a comb, chainsaw, etc.)
You get the idea…
We’ll be talking more about this in the future.
Anyway… like I said using GREAT SENTENCES to start with…
How to use great sentences in your copy – Five Steps to Sentence Stealing
– Remember from the Humor Class? Punchline – Parallel – Borrow the Punchline
– You do the same kind of thing here —> say the sentence —> give context —> state the lesson —> start the Transition and Parallel —> Borrow the lesson
– You’ll see several examples and while we do it ask yourself how YOU can apply these
This is part of what we call the “Borrowed Open” and helps with conversations and to avoid writer’s block, several ways to use this – here are 10 ways…
– Can be a joke
– A famous quote
– Your best/worst memory, some superlative
– A milestone that people immediately relate to (wedding, birth, etc.)
– Standard headline formula “If you want (BENEFIT) without (USUAL PAIN) then (ACTION)”
– Scene or line from a famous movie (In The Matrix Neo asks: Why do my eyes hurt? Morpheus: Because you’ve never used them)
– The chorus of a famous song (I will survive, also Steve Jobs often modeled activity after Bob Dylan and the Beatles, etc.)
– A famous historical event, like the Titanic leaving port
– A crazy fact… try to breathe and swallow at the same time or sneeze with your eyes open, if you fold a piece of paper 42 times it would reach the moon, fold it 103 times and it would be larger than the observable universe of 93 billion light years (talk about power of exponential growth), sharks kill about three people a year while people kill over 50 MILLION sharks a year, the deadliest animal on earth is the mosquito they kill more humans than humans do – we are second – but third biggest killer on the planet is… the snail, they can over 10,000 teeth, North Korea and Finland are separated by exactly one country, the famous “JK Wedding Dance” has raised over $70,000 for charity – amazing to think the way a bride decides to walk down the aisle can support her favorites charities for a decade to come… and counting, etc.
– In this case a famous opening of a book, chapter, song, etc.
The five parts to this
– First, say the sentence
– Second, give it context, explain why it is such a big deal and why/how it worked so well
– Third make the lesson/point clear
– Fourth start the Parallel and Transition
– Fifth, borrow the Lesson so the Parallel ends with the SAME lesson
The Transition and Lessons should sum it up
– If you find yourself in the wrong story, just write yourself a new one.
– In the end, we all become stories.
– Don’t become who hurt you.
– Hurt people, hurt people.
Here are some examples.
“Call me Ishmael”
This is a very famous opening. In fact, this is considered by many to be the best, most famous opening of any novel ever written. It is also a way for homeys to say they spot a plus-sized girl. This is the opening line of the Herman Melville’s famous 1851 novel, Moby Dick. The reception of Moby Dick was hardly epic, the publisher printed 500 copies but only sold 300 in the first several months.
After three years the first edition, original printing was still available. When Melville died in 1891, 40 years after writing Moby Dick, the book was out of print and before being out of print it had sold about 30 copies a year for over 30 years. In total, during Melville’s life he only sold about 3,000 copies of Moby Dick.
It was a “failure”…
It wasn’t until the 1920s that scholars and critics valued (or even noticed) Moby Dick and turned it into an icon, decades after Melville’s death.
Famed author Ralph Ellison (full name Ralph Waldo Ellison named after Ralph Waldo Emerson) wrote his legendary novel Invisible Man after being inspired by Melville. The book won the U.S. National Book for Fiction in 1953 and the first sentence is modeled after Moby Dick’s first sentence…
“I am an invisible man.”
Ellison also wrote 2,000 pages over 40 years that a friend eventually put together in the book Juneteenth. I bring it up because the “Juneteenth” celebration of freedom was something I didn’t learn about in school but it is a big deal and a great story of freedom fighters.
There is a project called “Call me Ishmael” at CallMeIshmael.com where avid readers can call and leave a voicemail about their favorite books. Thousands of readers have called and over one million readers have viewed or listened to the stories left.
More recently the story was revamped…
Nathaniel Philbrick, of famed Philbrick literary family, wrote his book “In the Heart of the Sea” which won the National Book Award in 2000. The novel was based on about the real-life tragedy of the whale ship Essex which was lost in the 1820s and is the original inspiration for Moby Dick. The book was made into a movie later directed by Ron Howard and starring Thor and Scarecrow.
Philbrick is a great writer and for years I’ve used this introduction as a great example of what good writing does. It can teleport us to another world. As you read the below TRY and stay where you are physically. This was a writing exercise introduced to me years ago and it still works well, remember this is page ONE.
An excerpt from “In the Heart of the Sea”:
… And on that February morning in 1821, the lookout saw something unusual – a boat, impossibly small for the open sea, bobbing on the swells. The ship’s captain, the thirty-seven-year-old Zimri Coffin, trained his spyglass on the mysterious craft with keen curiosity.
He soon realized that it was a whaleboat – double-ended and about twenty-five feet long – but a whaleboat unlike any he had ever seen. The boat’s sides had been built up by about half a foot. Two makeshift masts had been rigged, transforming the rowing vessel into a rudimentary schooner. The sails – stiff with salt and bleached by the sun – had clearly pulled the boat along for many, many miles. Coffin could see no one at the steering oar. He turned to the man at the Dauphin’s wheel and ordered, “Hard up the helm.”
Under Coffin’s watchful eye, the helmsman brought the ship as close as possible to the derelict craft. Even though their momentum quickly swept them past it, the brief seconds during which the ship loomed over the open boat presented a sight that would stay with the crew the rest of their lives.
First they saw bones – human bones – littering the thwarts and floorboards, as if the whaleboat were the seagoing lair of a ferocious, man-eating beast. Then they saw the two men. They were curled up in the opposite ends of the boat, their skin covered with sores, their eyes bulging from the hollows of their skulls, their beards caked with salt and blood. They were sucking the marrow from the bones of their dead shipmates.
Instead of greeting their rescuers with smiles of relief, the survivors – too delirious with thirst and hunger to speak – were disturbed, even frightened. They jealously clutched the splintered and gnawed-over bones with a desperate, almost feral intensity, refusing to give them up, like two starving dogs found trapped in a pit.
Later, once the survivors had been given some food and water (and had finally surrendered the bones), one of them found the strength to tell his story. It was a tale made of a whaleman’s worst nightmares: of being in a boat far from land with nothing left to eat or drink and – perhaps worst of all – of a whale with the vindictiveness and guile of a man.
Now THAT is how you start a story, right?
Call me Ishmael
– This ONE sentence has basically created an entire industry
– There are many interesting things about and it has been obsessed, debated and discussed more than any other sentence in literature history, notice he doesn’t say “I am” or “My name is” just that you should CALL him that so it is unclear if that is his real name…
– Biblical reference to Abraham’s first son who was banished to wander and die in the wilderness not like the much more favored half-brother Isaac, but Ishmael doesn’t die when he miraculously finds a well… just as Ishmael from the Moby wanders the ocean and is the only survivor
– To say “Call me Ishmael” means you are about to share a long tale of despair, tragedy, bloodshed, death, destruction, etc. Many ways this applies to business.
– BUT there is a BIG hook here that I use a lot… reality influences the stories we tell, but do the stories we tell influence reality? So when Melville wrote that sentence he had NO idea that it would be as obsessed over as it is in fact remember that the book was OUT OF PRINT and barely sold and he lived for 40 years after wards and thought of it as a failure and was largely not relevant relatively speaking… ironically HE BECAME ISHMAEL wondering through his life like through the desert or the ocean…
– We each have a brilliant idea like this, everybody has a Moby Dick of brilliance in them… and now it is easier than ever to maximize that and share your gift with the world… this has been used for computer training, universities, business MFM deals, private money, etc…
Questions to ask about this:
… What brilliance does your target have that is being under appreciated? What assets do they have that are being underused? What kind of difference could a single big deal make for them? What is the equivalent of their Moby Dick and how can what you do help them get that out in the world? What would sky rocket their business, life, relationships, etc. right now?
The five parts to this Sentence Stealing…
– First, say the sentence
– Second, give it context, explain why it is such a big deal and why/how it worked so well
– Third make the transition where you make lesson/point clear
– Fourth start the Parallel
– Fifth, borrow the Lesson so the Parallel ends with the SAME lesson
Here are some examples…
1.) “I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day of January 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974.”
This is the opening of the book Middlesex, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2003. This book was also a winner of the International Dublin Literary Award, the Prix Medicis and being a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award. The author Jeffrey Eugenides also wrote The Virgin Suicides which was made into a movie directed by Sofia Coppala. Eugenides has also won the Whiting Award, the Salon Book Award, the Aga Khan Prize or Fiction and many other awards.
Of all his opening lines in his books this is my favorite and FORCES the reader to learn more. This takes on a new meaning today with some social issues but back in that day it was much more shocking to suggest somebody could be born twice and with two different genders.
How we have used this:
What’s the lesson or the EMOTION HOOK?
– The idea of rebirth is appealing and makes us want to know more
– We all want a rebirth of some kind, to be young again or younger, more attractive, etc.
– Think about your target and if they could shed their past sins like snake sheds it’s skin or if they could relive their lives over again what would they most optimistic about?
If you could relive one decision what would it be? If you had one year to do over, what year would you pick and why?
What is the one decision that you made that no matter how many thousands or millions of chances you ever got you would make the same choice… or a different one?
Imagine an alternate universe where this a version of you that is living your dream life, what’s the single biggest choice that he made that you didn’t?
Powerful questions that immediately shake people out of their zombie state.
What’s the Emotional Hook:
– The idea of a FRESH START, to leave your past sins, mistakes and baggage behind us, this is why we love New Year’s Resolutions; A new year, a new me, etc.
– Everybody wants to be FREE of some skeleton in their closet and they imagine their life much better if they were rid of it
– Think of time travel movies and the inner thoughts we have about what we would change if we went back to our childhood or back in time a decade or two THIS emotion of “How much better my life COULD be…” is a major pull
Start with the sentence
– Explain that this was the first sentence of a very famous book, but why is it so good?
– This is a story of re-birth, and that’s what we ALL want in one way or the other, wouldn’t it be great to be able to to redo the last few weeks, months, years or decades… how much further would you get?
– What if there was a way to get ALL that benefit (and then some) of a rebirth, but in the real-world… then we get into how we can help them with their business buying, JVs, etc.
How we have used this:
– The hook we usually use is the re-birth one
– One campaign we said if you could go back and invest money for the last 20 years you would LOVE that chance right? To have bought MSFT or whatever BUT… you could make even more if put that money in another business in your industry like a medical group for example… why does going back in time have so much appeal? Because you KNOW what would happen, what if you could do that now… what if you KNEW for sure which companies were about to go through massive growth? I want to let you in on a secret little list of mine that will tell you exactly that… Or…
– If we buy your company or if you “sell” or trade it for shares in another you can have ALL the benefit of going back in time and buying them 20 years ago…
2.) “They shoot the white girl first.”
This was how Toni Morrison opened her 1997 novel Paradise. This was Morrison’s first book after winning the Nobel Price in Literature in 1993, it became a selection in Oprah’s book club. Morrison was a badass, she also won the Pulitzer Prize for her 1987 novel Beloved. Barack Obama presented her with the Presidential Medal of Freedom and she has a bunch of other awards and honors. She was a badass. Read her stuff.
So what an opening right? Brilliant, isn’t it? Who got shot, why and by whom? You MUST know the answer. The story starts with a struggle between a group of men and women and that battle continues throughout the whole book.
How me and my friends have used this…
What’s the lesson and the Emotional Hook?
– One way to position this is that it is about somebody GETTING it, the first one on the chopping block
– We all have a secret (or not so secret) insecurity that we are disliked by those around us and they are plotting our downfall with each waking moment
– We are ALL afraid that if the cards are down it is ME that will get the axe first
– Ask yourself this about your target, what totem pole or food chain are they at the bottom of that do or do not know about? We are all “the white girl” for somebody, even if we aren’t it is best to always make yourself more necessary to your clients and the people who call you their client
– Focus on the emotion of being second best, the red-headed stepchild, being disposable, nobody wants to be the “white girl” yet we all FEAR that we are, FOMO, etc.
Today there is an obvious racial tone to this
– You probably want to stay away from that… for realz
– Me, I don’t give a fu**… kidding kidding… sheesh…
– This is a story about SOMEBODY getting it first, and we’ve all felt like that… dispensable
– The secret to creating income immunity (and being a better person) is to NEVER be on that list where your clients, employer, friends, etc. are ready to give the axe
– Let me ask you a question how important is it for your clients to keep paying you? Is it vital or are you the “white girl” who is the first to go… whose chances of surviving a rough patch are the same as the slutty girl in a horror movie… this is to explain how we help client relations and make them the LAST to get a bullet
– So that’s the hook we’ve used to promote our CRM software, our client retention and lead gen stuff, how we get appointments for audits (which turn into business purchases or consulting deals) this is also a hook used with sellers:
– “Realtors always have pocket listings that they promote more aggressively, fight for higher prices and overall do a better job for… here’s two questions to ask your realtor to see if you’re on THAT list or if you’re just “the white girl” about get shot (go expired)…”
– We’ve also used this when a company of ours that we we an interest in is being bought and there is a chance that our agreements (and our continued payments) are the “white girl” in which case we explain “It is important you pick the RIGHT things to label as the ‘white girl’ because if you pick the wrong one it can be catastrophic, so I just want to explain three things and then ask that we either sign a new contract or be released and allowed to compete…” We also use this with MFM stuff as well, Propaganda Package, books, etc. “You MUST make sure you’re never the white girl, here’s how to position yourself to avoid EVER being on that chopping block again…”
– NEVER fight to be taken off the chopping block, if anybody thinks you belong there then you do – all your work should be done ahead of time to avoid that categorizing and for your targets they KNOW they are always in danger of this so focus on which chopping blocks they are on or will be on and how you can help them avoid that
3.) “124 was spiteful.”
Toni Morrison was so good that we’ll study the opening of her novel Beloved which (as said above) she won the Pulitzer for and how she became a finalist for The National Book Award. The 1998 movie Beloved was based on this book as well. A survey of writers and professional literary experts and critics was done by The New York Times in 2006, the results ranked Beloved as the best work of American fiction in the last 25 years.
That’s how it opened… that was it.
Who or what is 124? Why spiteful? Such a GOOD curiosity inducer. The first paragraph introduces the possibilities and lets the reader know some detail about 124. Later we find out that 124 is the spirit of a murdered baby who has come to haunt the mother who killed her, she is meant to symbolize the pains and suffering of slavery. The first paragraph is a solid start:
124 was spiteful. Full of a baby’s venom. The women in the house knew it and so did the children. For years each put up with the spite in his own way, but by 1873 Sethe and her daughter Denver were its only victims. The grandmother, Baby Suggs, was dead, and the sons, Howard and Buglar, had run away by the time they were thirteen years old — as soon as merely looking in a mirror shattered it (that was the signal for Buglar); as soon as two tiny hand prints appeared in the cake (that was it for Howard). Neither boy waited to see more; another kettleful of chickpeas smoking in a heap on the floor; soda crackers crumbled and strewn in a line next to the doorsill. Nor did they wait for one of the relief periods: the weeks, months even, when nothing was disturbed.
Each one fled at once — the moment the house committed what was for him the one insult not to be born or witnessed a second time. Within two months, in the dead of winter, leaving their grandmother, Baby Suggs; Sethe, their mother; and their little sister, Denver, all by themselves in the gray and white house on Bluestone Road. It didn’t have a number then, because Cincinnati didn’t stretch that far. In fact, Ohio had been calling itself a state only seventy years when first one brother and then the next stuffed quilt packing into his hat, snatched up his shoes, and crept away from the lively spite the house felt for them.
Later in the book, the mood of 124 sets the tone of each chapter and section. To attach such personality to a number so early on is a skill. A good opener.
Here’s how I’ve used this example…
What’s the lesson or emotional pull?
– Given that a writer as skilled and talented as Morrison introduces a main character by pointing to her spite, it says a lot about what we can expect from 124
– This is true in general, if I asked your friends to summarize you in one sentence or word, what’s the first thing they are likely to say?
– Politicians often do polls where voters are asked to sum up the candidate in one word, BILLIONS are spent to forge that one word it is that important and we all care what people think about us
– One emotion here to work with is how angry, fed up, “frustrated” your target is, he feels like he is always late to the party… we help him be less spiteful.
What you are most spiteful about?
What would your kids say about you in one word?
When I ask business owners or investors about to describe their attitude about their growth… they are “spiteful”…
Start with the quote and then the significance of the work as usual
– Later we learn “124” is the spirit of a baby murdered by her own mother
– It is interesting that Morrison introduces 124 and the first thing she mentions is how “Spiteful” she was
– If a book was written about you, what would be the first thing people say about you? For too many it would be “Spiteful” or something similar… because they don’t the history… this is how we promoted a family crest/history documents and plaque
– Another version was with same intro and then… for most investors/business/sellers owners if they were honest a book about them would start with the “Jack was spiteful” about his returns, his lazy staff, lost opportunities, vacancy rates, days on the market, laziness of her realtor, showings but no offers, offers but no sales, etc. and then we would help them invest or sell, etc.
– Basically we used them as the “Spiteful” ones, why the would be spiteful and how we can help them be less spiteful
Remember the pattern:
– First the sentence
– Then the background and why it such a big deal
– Then the lesson and transition… “124 was so spiteful that the very first thing we learn about her (and the book’s story to come) is that 124 was indeed spiteful… it’s interesting because as I talk to so many frustrated medical practice owners that is how they would sum up their attitude about the direction their business is going; they are spiteful.”
We also often include the Cherokee story of a wise man telling his grandson that every man has two wolves in him. One is full of anger, resentment, hate, rage, laziness, lies, treachery, failures, excuses, nastiness, etc. The other is full of hope, optimism, love, compassion, gratitude, kindness, achievement, charisma, all good things, etc. The old man then says the two wolves are in you and constantly fighting to the death.
Boy: Which wolf will win?
Old man: The one you feed.
Now the transition is to…
I’ve notice that with many real estate investors they are feeding the wrong wolf and they desperately want to see the opportunities so they can start feeding the RIGHT wolf…
Remember the TRANSITION WORDS:
… it is interesting because…
… I’m telling you that because…
… it is a good lesson for people trying to…
… I’ve always remembered that because…
… it is funny I see the same thing happen with…
… you also see the same thing happen with people who…
… I’ve always loved the secret lesson for X people and that is…
… it is fascinating to think about and the way it applies to me and you is…
… I’ve learned how important this is to people like you want to grow their real estate business because…
… when I first heard that I thought it was BS but then I realized it is actually life changing when you think about…
– Fourth start the Parallel
– Fifth, finally borrow the punchline and lesson
Next is a more recent example.
4.) “Dear Anyone Who Finds This, Do not blame the drugs.”
This is how cartoonist Lynda Barry started her 1999 illustrated novel Cruddy about a teenage runaway. Barry won an Eisner Award and was awarded a MacArthur Fellowship (also called the Genius Grant) and many other awards.
The rest of the paragraph, the full first page is even better. Look how this story begins:
Dear anyone who finds this, do not blame the drugs. It was not the fault of the drugs. I planned this way before the drugs were ever in my life. And do not blame Vicky Talluso. It was my idea to kill myself. All she did was me a little push. If you are hold this book right now it means that everything came out just the way I wanted it to. I got my happily ever after.
Signed, Sincerely Yours,
1955 – 1971
Brilliant stuff. It explains the situation, sets the tone of the novel and creates the atmosphere and narration for the entire book.
How we have used this…
What is the real lesson or EMOTION?
– Often in life we blame the consequence and NOT the cause, the LAST thing or factor in a bad decision and not the stuff that created a situation where all we needed was a push
– “The cost of being blameless is being powerless.” If it isn’t your fault then you don’t need to do anything different
– So when any an agent blames the market, the economy, the buyers, etc. that is an LC, remember it FEELS GOOD to blame others for our problems and most will the few artists take blame and because of that they take back POWER
As real estate investors are watching more and more competition eat away at their profits and less leads that cost more money each, they are watching businesses slowly die and nearly all them are blaming the market, the economy, the GDP, etc. In other words they ARE blaming the drugs… the (very, VERY few) smart investors know something that the rest don’t…
We go on to talk about getting trained correctly, or in the medical field buying other practices.
5.) “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
This is how Leo Tolstoy opens the famous Anna Karenina, which many writers consider to be the best work of literature ever written. Yeah for realz. It is more than 800 pages and was released over the span of four years in the 1870s. Tolstoy is often considered to be one of the greatest authors of all time and when he didn’t win a Nobel Prize is considered one of the biggest Nobel controversies ever. Tolstoy also wrote the famous works War and Peace (which is used in one of my fav quotes of all time from Lex Luthor) and Hadji Murad.
“Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.”
That itself is a great opener as I covered in the Humor Class.
Anyway, Tolstoy was brilliant
So anytime somebody is that celebrated and their work is that revered, you should study it.
This opening line is something that I’ve used and modeled after in many presentations and speeches. The idea that there is only ONE way to be “happy” and many ways to be unhappy is arguable, but I borrow and put it this way:
“There are many roads to mediocrity, but only one road to mastery: obsession.”
– Azam Meo
That’s another thing these openings do, they allow you to borrow and calibrate them so you can have a similar effect. Also talking about Tolstoy and other brilliant visionaries (like Azam Meo for example) automatically makes you seem far more intelligent.
If you are unique, does that require unhappiness?
That is what Tolstoy is suggesting that even though we all want to be “ourselves” or unique, it is in that lack of conforming that we will find misery, sadness, tragedy and ultimately unhappiness. A gloomy outlook for sure, and definitely not true but it sounds good.
The story itself is about love and heartbreak and finding your true Soulmate. There is a bit of irony in the heartbreak and I come away from it with the lesson that your focus should always be on GRATITUDE. I guess that may say more about me than the book though. I’ve never forgotten the opening line.
What’s the lesson and EMOTION:
– Nearly everybody is unhappy, just not unhappy enough to do anything about it, your target wants “happiness” whatever that means to them
– To get to any destination there are many more ways to get somewhere ELSE than to the desired goal, it is best to look at things with a binary “one or zero” approach and think there is only ONE way to the goal
– When a business is running smoothly you know exactly how the owner feels and how confident he is with every breath, on the other side when a business is struggling you may not know why but you definitely know the pit in the stomach the owner feels every night when he goes to sleep…
What if we could get ALL the good with none of the bad?
The EMOTION here…
is the feeling of running carefree through a meadow as a child versus that feeling when you’re scared of heights and about to plummet on a roller coaster…
It is interesting because when I ask struggling real estate investors and business owners how things are going, they always have a different path that they took that led them to financial ruin… however when I talk to the real estate folks who are killing it, they always did the same three things…
Same thing with docs, and with consulting, ownership, managing, software, etc. Also with financial planners, real estate investors, etc. you can replace “struggling real estate investors” with any other group and focus on the difference between the “happy” and the “unhappy” being the answer you have…
… They had a system that brought their patients back like clockwork… they were actively buying other medical practices… they had ownership in at least TWO different businesses… they created at least ONE source of side income…
6.) “The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as best I could, but when the ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge.”
How can you talk about American short stories without talking about one of the main inventors and pioneers of them, Edgar Allen Poe? The above is how he started “The Cask of Amontillado“. Poe is considered one of – if not THE – fathers of detective stories, mysteries, science fiction and psychological horror. It seems like he is the first American author ever to earn his living off writing alone.
This line to start the story is interesting for a few reasons, one big reason is that it is never explained what insults Fortunato made against narrator Montresor. This is even crazier when you see what he goes on to say:
The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat. At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitely settled—but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved, precluded the idea of risk.
I must not only punish, but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.
It must be understood that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good will. I continued, as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile now was at the thought of his immolation.
Wow read that again…
“… to smile in his face and he did not perceive that my smile now was at the thought of his immolation.”
That term – immolation – general referred to with some sort of sacrificial purpose, like a ritual where you burn somebody alive… or something like that, and again…
We never find out WHY…
It has been speculated the narrator and “hero” had some mental illness that fabricated the insult. At the end we learn that Fortunato is chained and basically buried alive as he his sealed behind a wall. After doing this Montresor tells us that 50 years later Fortunato’s skeleton still remained chained and hidden behind the wall.
Burying somebody alive is pretty rough, and again it makes the mystery behind the motive even more fascinating.
Lesson and Emotion… Everybody is a snowflake.
– Explain the back story and how this unknown insult led to a man being buried alive and killed in a horrible fashion
– It wasn’t the “thousand injuries” it was the INSULT that triggered him
– We are ALL easily triggered, your target clients (even though they may NEVER admit it) are little children who will get worked up over a simple gesture or phrase or even far less… and sent into a frenzy
– If we can get people to murder over an insult, the opposite must also be true, what if we could get them to act in a positive way with a basic word
– We make huge decisions often because of something very small
When I was a busboy in Indiana we used to have professional athletes from there Indiana Pacers and Indianapolis Colts come through the restaurant and I quickly learned that the best way to ensure a big tip was to say the magic words “I’m a big fan.”
It was amazing how that tiny phrase FORCED a big tip.
Such a tiny hinge opened such a big door.
I wondered how many other small hinges opened big doors…
(then we get into this with clients, customers, etc.)
General Lessons on humans
– We are easily manipulated, highly impressionable and our actions/attitudes VERY flexible
– Just a small word, gesture, syllable, etc. can make a massive difference in your compliance
– Part of mastering emotion control is understanding these TINY Compliance Gainers
You NEED to understand this:
– Having people hold warm coffee versus cold coffee changed how they judged a character in a story, that Yale study is here.
– Health experiments done by Google revealed shocking results; by covering candy like M&Ms the employees ate millions of pieces less, by positioning water at eye level and soda down and behind people were 3x more likely to drink water, by moving junk food across the counter you were HALF as likely to eat it, etc.
Google’s experiments on keeping their employees healthy and drinking more water and less candy was easily done without “educating” employees or anything else like that just by making these TINY, nearly invisible, changes.
– Think of it like putting your hands in hot water than room temperature, then cold versus room temperature. You can CHANGE what something IS based on what you show them right before REMEMBER THIS.
– In retail I used to show the most expensive TVs, suits, shoes, etc.
– After the Google experiment I tried one of my own with cookies wrapped “to go” and it had a SHOCKING result on me…
– For more on this look into the Kuleshov Effect here.
This is also based on visual induction or the brain’s perception that one thing is related to another adjacent thing. So two unrelated things create an EMOTIONAL connection when they are shown together. What fires together WIRES together, this explains addiction; “I drink/smoke to relax, focus, etc.”
What fires together WIRES together
– The best propagandists and manipulators are ALWAYS doing this
– You can use the same powers for GOOD
– Take the hook, then the transition and EMOTION part
– What you see isn’t just influenced but what you see before but it can be DETERMINED by it
– Never ignore this lesson
There are ALL kinds of ways to use this emotion: SMALL causes create VERY BIG results.
– One tiny change in a headline can 2x, 3x, 5x, 10x, 20x the ROI. Think about that, an entire BUSINESS can be supported by a single ad:
“I’ll sell your house in 30 days flat or I’ll buy it myself.”
“Overworked real estate investor needs help, I’ll teach you the business and we’ll split your profits 50/50.”
“I’ll trade you houses?” (this boosted the Sub2 ROI by 5x) If you can no longer afford the payment on your house and need a way out…
How to TRANSITION:
The smallest change in a business can double, triple or hectuple (10 times) but how often are you really experimenting with that? When was the last time you even tried to double your business? I’ve been working with medical groups just like yours and I’ve test hundreds of tiny “hinges” to find the winning ones that can double or more a business overnight…
It’s amazing how small changes can have such a massive impact in the results, 10 realtors can try to sell a house and fail but then the seller comes to me and I put my magic system to work for them and BOOM, they got an offer in the first 30 days… it kept happening again and again… soon I started even guaranteeing that I would get a cash offer in 30 days or I’d buy the darn house myself!…
Subtle changes can have the most dramatic impact in the finally result. If an airplane from California to New York is off by just six inches then it would end up in Florida, and that’s how so many investors feel right now. They wanted to get to shiny New York and they are in the Florida swamplands.
7.) “The magician’s underwear has just been found in a cardboard suitcase floating in a stagnant pond on the outskirts of Miami.”
Novelist Tom Robbins opened his first novel “Another Roadside Attraction” with that sentence in 1971. Robbins went on to become a legendary writer, he was named the among the 100 Best Writers of the 20th Century by Writer’s Digest, well known critic Fernanda Pivano called him “the most dangerous writer in the world.” In 2012 he won the Literary Lifetime Achievement Award from the Library of Virginia. The above excerpt was his FIRST sentence from his FIRST novel.
What’s the hook and how to use it?
– One play is the randomness of it, that’s one way to go
– The sentence itself is a great opener for a few reasons, I’ve used and created many headlines like this watch what happens when I just add one hook:
“Magician’s underwear found in cardboard suitcase floating in a stagnant pond on the outskirts of Miami… writing on underwear contains stock market secret that Nevada housewife used to turn $500 into over $500,000 in less than six months, leaving experts scratching their heads in astonishment.”
Or something like that.
8.) “There is a story behind my cousin Julia’s coma.”
Anytime you mention a story being behind something it immediately activates curiosity and a need to know more. There’s a story behind why I made this video… see?
When you first read the sentence it kind of feels like that scene in Titanic when Jack yells “I’m the king of the world!” Everything seems so perfect, but not to us because we know of the tragedy to come. As soon as we know that Julia ends up in a coma it paints how we see everything else we are about to learn about her story.
I don’t know the story behind your foreclosure or why you’re late on payments but…
I want to know it, I’ve heard hundreds just like it and the process of getting folks out of foreclosure is, frankly, pretty easy and not that big of a deal. It is their story and the way their lives are improved when I can help them, THAT is what really motivates me…
There’s a story behind the “big” assignment fee…
The emotion or the HOOK:
– Your target has a story that they want to share but “nobody” wants to hear it
– What background info about your target would better inform about who they are? What parts of their story would tighten your relationship? What are the best parts of their story that go unappreciated by the friends, family, employees and/or coworkers?
– How does their ‘story’ form their standards and decision making processes now, who do they credit/blame and why?
– How can you use YOUR story or background info, research or development info, origin story, etc. to help them develop a better perspective and gratitude regarding your positioning… like with the assignment fees versus double closings (when you explain things MY way you’ll NEVER have problems with even six/seven figure assignments and investors will JOYFULLY pay you)…
Yes they’ll pay six figures… JOYFULLY. = )
9.) “Go ahead,” Adrian said, “pull the trigger.”
Indigenous American writer Sherman Alexie wrote this as the first words in his short story “The only traffic signal on the reservation doesn’t flash red anymore.” Alexie has won many awards like the American Book Award, the National Book Award for Young People’s Literature, the Odyssey Award, the PEN/Faulkner Award, he was among the 20 writers for The New Yorker, the PEN/Heminway Award, the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Native Writers’ Circle of the Americas and a list of others.
“Go ahead,” Adrian said, “Pull the trigger.”
I held a pistol to my temple. I was sober but wished I was drunk enough to pull the trigger.
“Go for it,” Adrian said, “You chickenshit.”
While I still held that pistol to my temple, I used my other hand to flip Adrian off. Then I made a fist with my third hand to gather a little bit of courage or stupidity, and wiped sweat from my forehead with my fourth hand.
“Here,” Adrian said. “Give me the damn thing.”
Adrian took the pistol, put the barrel in his mouth, smiled around the metal, and pulled the trigger. Then he cussed wildly, laughed, and spit out the BB.
I remember reading this and being taken back that Adrian would react to a gun in his face by ASKING for the trigger to be pulled. That fearlessness was inspiring during a time where everything scared me, financially at least. When I was dead broke and didn’t have money for a quarter tank of gas I was scared of even the smallest things. A flat tire, a plumbing repair, my kids coughing or getting sick, etc. even the slightest cost would break the bank. One day I looked in the mirror and made myself a promise that if I ever figured out how to become financially fearless and have the nerve of Adrian to look (financial) death in the face and laugh, that I would go back and bring everybody else up with me.
This letter is me fulfilling that promise…
The emotion and the HOOK:
– Everybody wants the freedom from their FEAR, just like Adrian, what would it take to lift your targets burdens? What is the biggest fear your target has that they would LOVE to one day laugh? What is the best illustration that your target has conquered their fear?
– You can also go in another direction about being Adrian “suicidal”, what was the bottom of your target’s life where they were most likely to say “just shoot me” and what does that say about them now?
– Being Financially Fearless or free of our current phobias, concerns, shackles, etc. is like a permanent vacation. Your target wants to feel that freedom, what pain can you help the get rid of?
“The marvelous thing is that it’s painless,” he said.
Since we corrected the record about Ernest Hemingway and the six sentence story myth, it makes sense to include an example from him. This is how Hemingway started his famous story “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” It was later made into a movie starring Hollywood legend Gregory Peck and Oscar nominated actress Ava Gardner (who was also Frank Sinatra‘s ex-wife), the movie went on the become one of the most successful movies of the 1950s.
Here’s the full intro:
The marvelous thing is that it’s painless,” he said. “That’s how you know when it
“Is it really?”
“Absolutely. I’m awfully sorry about the odor though. That must bother you.”
“Don’t! Please don’t.”
“Look at them,” he said. “Now is it sight or is it scent that brings them like that?”
The cot the man lay on was in the wide shade of a mimosa tree and as he looked
out past the shade onto the glare of the plain there were three of the big birds squatted
obscenely, while in the sky a dozen more sailed, making quick-moving shadows as they
“They’ve been there since the day the truck broke down,” he said. “Today’s the first
time any have lit on the ground. I watched the way they sailed very carefully at first in
case I ever wanted to use them in a story. That’s funny now.”
“I wish you wouldn’t,” she said.
“I’m only talking,” he said. “It’s much easier if I talk. But I don’t want to bother
“You know it doesn’t bother me,” she said. “It’s that I’ve gotten so very nervous not
being able to do anything. I think we might make it as easy as we can until the plane
“Or until the plane doesn’t come.”
“Please tell me what I can do. There must be something I can do.
“You can take the leg off and that might stop it, though I doubt it. Or you can shoot
me. You’re a good shot now. I taught you to shoot, didn’t I?”
“Please don’t talk that way. Couldn’t I read to you?”
“Anything in the book that we haven’t read.”
“I can’t listen to it,” he said.” Talking is the easiest. We quarrel and that makes the
“I don’t quarrel. I never want to quarrel. Let’s not quarrel any more. No matter how
nervous we get. Maybe they will be back with another truck today. Maybe the plane will
“I don’t want to move,” the man said. “There is no sense in moving now except to
make it easier for you.”
“Can’t you let a man die as comfortably as he can without calling him names?
What’s the use of clanging me?”
“You’re not going to die.”
“Don’t be silly. I’m dying now. Ask those bastards.” He looked over to where the
huge, filthy birds sat, their naked heads sunk in the hunched feathers. A fourth planed
down, to run quick-legged and then waddle slowly toward the others.
“They are around every camp. You never notice them. You can’t die if you don’t
What’s the lesson: Dying is painless compared to regret. (wow, read that again)
– Harry is kind of an a-hole, he hates his wife and women in general, although he grows to appreciate her by the time he dies
– The story is of a man on his deathbed and reflecting on his life and in doing so have many regrets
– Your target has many regrets – if you were on your deathbed and had less than an hour to live, what would you do? If you had a day to live? If you had one week left to live, how would you spend it? Not at your practice right? That means you are waiting to live your REAL life… what would your regret the most in their final hour if it was today? How can you help that final hour filled with more gratitude…
What if could get you the same income but half the hours? What if I could show you a way to sell your practice for more than it’s worth AND still get your full time income while you stay at home? I may be able to help you trade your practice for ownership shares in a much larger group that pays you monthly and quarterly dividends that match your current income…
We’ve used this with doctors
– This can be easily applied to ANY other group as well
– Anytime you ask about having an hour left to live, all the BS disappears and we realize how much mental energy is spent on nonsense it is a good framer for ANY conversation
– With ANY business owner, entrepreneur, etc. they know the pain of REGRET of NOT taking advantage of opportunities and so they focus on minimizing that and remind them that they secretly dream of MUCH MORE and they never imagined they’d be stuck where they are NOW is the time to get out of the daily rut or one year, two years, etc. will be the same
– We also mention the TIME experiments and how time actually disappears with monotony and expands with breakthroughs, record breaking and the unique
10.) “You better not never tell nobody but God.”
That is the first line in “The Color Purple” written by famed author and activist Alice Walker. The book won the 1983 Pulitzer for Fiction, a National Book Award and many other honors and awards. It has been made into a musical and film as well.
The movie version was directed by Steven Spielberg and was world’s first introduction to Oprah Winfrey, it also helped launch other careers of people like Whoopi Goldberg and Danny Glover. The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards, won four Golden Globe Awards and was nominated for – and won – many other awards.
About the line…
The person speaking is the father of the 14 year old Celia, is telling her not to tell anybody that he raped her because it could kill her already sick mom. Dark stuff. It is a sign of things to come and it starts her letter to “Dear God”. Brilliant opening.
Lessons – there are a few and a newer one:
– In the story the father goes on to tell the girl that if she tells and the mother finds out it will kill her, a psych prof client of ours had a friend in the exact same situation that was too scared to tell and it is because of that situation that she decided as a child to get into psych field – we use that story with scholarship drive to get more donors
– Also a lesson that we don’t speak up or ask for help because we are scared, but help – for sexual abuse, domestic violence or financial help – is always a good idea when done correctly…
– We also have used this for donation drives with women’s shelters, people don’t speak up MOST of the time so we need to show a guiding light for the ones who do
– In general when it comes to terrible crimes we are shamed or scared into silence, we all know what it is like to be scared of speaking up, how can you help your target be the hero they want to be?
11.) “Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board.”
This is one of my all time favorite lines, it was written by Zora Neale Hurston in her novel “Their Eyes Were Watching God” in 1937. There is a LOT to day about Hurston and how this work came to be, so we should look at her personal background and story a bit more. This was also made into a movie starring Halle Berry, don’t worry it is more like X-men Halle Berry and NOT Catwoman Halle Berry. At any rate, the book is much better and legendary.
First here is the full opening:
Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men. Now, women forget all those things they don’t want to remember, and remember everything they don’t want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly.
She also heavily influenced (or perhaps created) the John Lennon and Yoko Ono the famous song “The Woman is the Nigger of the World.” There is one of the first interviews of Billy Idol ever where he speaks strongly about the song and theme.
The sentence from the book:
“De nigger woman is de mule uh de world so fur as Ah can see.”
Zora Neale Hurston
– Born in Alabama but family moved to Eatonville, Florida at the age of three
– She grew up during INTENSE racial tensions, Eatonville was the first all black incorporated township
– Her mother died and she was sent away for school, dropped out and worked as a maid
– To qualify for high school she changed her birth date by 10 years
– She went to Howard University and started working on her PHD in anthropology at Columbia University
– She wrote essays, novels, plays, etc. her anthropology work got accolades and awards as did her auto biography, but nothing sold well or got much traction
– Returning to Florida she worked as a substitute teacher and (again) as a maid
– Struggling with money she lived in a welfare home, got sick and died in 1960 and was buried in unmarked grave in Eatonville
– After her death her belongings and writings were to be burned, a friend just happened to see the first and put it out to save her work that is the ONLY reason her papers and writings exist today
– During her lifetime, her work went mostly unnoticed for DECADES, as recent as 2001 and even in 2018 her work has been published after recently being found in Smithsonian archive material
“I have made phenomenal growth as a creative artist. … I am not materialistic … If I do happen to die without money, somebody will bury me, though I do not wish it to be that way…” – Hurston
Alice Walker (yes the author from above The Color Purple) comes to the rescue
– In 1973 Walker tried to find Hurston’s grave and bought a headstone calling her “A Genius of the South” and wrote an article “In Search of Zora Neale Hurston” about her in Ms. Magazine
– THIS moment was when interest in Hurston’s work was revived
– It was only after this that her writings were widely circulated, published, acclaimed, etc.
– In a poem Walker wrote about Hurston’s novel “I love the way Janie Crawford left her husbands.”
– It was Alice Walker who made sure that Hurston’s work would live on
Now about the actual book:
– It is a complex story dealing with racism, male/female roles, feminism, etc.
– Throughout the book she has relationships ends up getting money, power, etc. and in the end she is telling her life story to “Phoebe” as she is back home and un-trusted by the community
– “I’ve been to the horizon and back… you have to go there to know there…” She DID get the all those “wishes” and it made no difference she is right back where she started and just as miserable or happy based on how she CHOOSES to be
– Phoebe Watson says she has become “10 feet higher just from listening to Janie”, THAT is the point of life and it took her meeting this random person at the END of her life to realize it
The Emotional Hook
– We ALL look at the horizon and hope that our wishes are out there, just beyond our reach and that line “never landing until the watcher turns away his eyes in resignation” WOW… really think about that, that as long as you watch/wish you NEVER get it
– Your target is always hoping that he will get that “one thing” that will change everything IT NEVER DOES, the story of Janie is all about that; she got wealth and power and none it mattered she was always “herself” and until she fixed that nothing else mattered
– Your target is scared that they have settled in life and (Azam’s quote) “the more you stay on the shores of comfort, the more you’re convinced that the horizon has everything you want”
It is interesting to see this affect with medical practices, as their profits begin to decline they start grasping at straws hoping that each new shiny object will save them from the train wreck… they keep looking to their boats at the distance… well over the past 10 years I’ve specialized in helping the hopeless shore-bound practices get to the best booty from the most packed boats…
… The amazing thing about this is that if you talk to 100 real estate investors you will find over 95 are blindly focused on the “horizon’s ships” and the big secret for finding motivated sellers… they chase the shiny objects of facebook ads, google marketing, social media, they think if they just “twitter” better or something like that then they’ll hit it big… well here’s the big secret that I’ve never seen anybody ANYWHERE figure out… you can build your real estate business and get it to 30k/mo all with FREE leads, no need to spend ANY money on marketing for “motivated sellers”… if you think you NEED money or a marketing budget then you are staring at the ships on the horizon without even knowing it… ALL you need is a phone and THAT is how you know you’re skilled…
Many more examples…
(use the wishful eyes to your advantage and realize that EVERYBODY secretly wants to believe that there is a magic bullet, by focusing on that it is NOT you can create just as much desire as focusing on what “it” actually is)
… What if the answer to doubling your business, then redoubling and working less and less to a point where your staff doesn’t even know what you look like, what if the bridge to that Utopia is just from a SINGLE… letter… yeah I said letter and before you laugh you want to read what these five doctors said after THREE DAYS of working with me…
Many other great examples too – DO THIS.
Also this kind of work is helpful and gets your brain working and focused on the deep and meaningful ideas of mankind.
Get around these ideas, one of my other favs…
Another great author of the time Carter G. Woodson
– Historian, author, journalist and legendary activist
– Considered “father” of black history, pioneer in developing African-American history, in February 1926 launched Negro History Week which was first version of “Black History Month“
– Son of slaves worked in coal mine and eventually became 2nd black person ever to get a PhD from Harvard, started Association of the Study of African American Life and History
– The U.S. Post Office create a 20-cent stamp in his honor, Library of Congress held an exhibition to honor him, had a google doodle of Woodson in February 2018, much more stuff
– People like him should be studied, he wrote The Mis-Education of the Negro in 1933
The oppressor has always indoctrinated the weak with his interpretation… Philosophers have long conceded, however, that every man has two educations: that which is given to him, and the other that which he gives himself…
… If you can control a man’s thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you do not have to compel him to accept an inferior status, for he will seek it himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you do not have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one.
(Oh and I just put the class again here just above)
I hope this post helped you get over writer’s block and always have a well of brilliance to go to so you know how to start great stories. You should also now know how to tell those great, time tested stories and borrow the emotional hook for your own compliance moves. Remember that copy writing, especially for real estate investors, is one of those high income and mobility creating skills so you want to learn this.
Now go out and double, redouble and then double AGAIN your business…
Much love and makes sure to check another epic post on copy writing for real estate investors here as well. You’ll love it.
~ Indy Anna
Want more (brilliantly) EPIC posts of real estate investing and bidness badasssery...?
There is a great post and class on the 38 Ways to Buy Apartment Buildings Zero Down with Pet Policies, and here are some other helpful and EPIC posts... for starters as a real estate investor if you ever want to build a business that makes you 30 grand a month then you MUST do this...
Wanna Create Generational Passive Income Buying Real Estate and Small Businesses?
Here's a class on exactly how to make $30,000 in passive income as an out of state Indy landlord. Exactly how many Indiana rental properties do you need to make 30 grand a month. Anna can you help me invest in Indianapolis turnkey real estate investment properties?
There's also a great class Azam did on how anybody can retire in the next 1-2 years with $30,000 a month in passive income by buying and selling businesses zero down. What about Micro Flipping? We have a great class on how to start micro-flipping real estate zero down from your house and make $500/day, speed wholesaling 101.
There’s also another great class on how to buy apartment buildings zero down that you can check out as well. This relates directly to growing income on rental properties. Speaking of which make sure to check out our epic page on 14 ways to avoid tenants from hell. Also we have a great post on how to make build a "six figure a month" real estate wholesaling business.
Also here is a post on how I did this and I flipped a house off Zillow for 30. Also you can check out the post on five steps to flip a house right off Zillow for 40 grand. You can also check out our other epic post on 57 ways to make money with vacant land.
Here’s another post on how a Hero flipped a house off Zillow and made 40k in a few weeks while he was learning to read. Also you want to check our post on the EPIC $25 million letter and the copy writing lessons for real estate investors, you'll love it. Also you can see how ONE letter is making me $9,000 a month. Also you can check out the post on 101 FREE places to advertise your houses.
Also check out the "SA" class and your REAL chances of create social mobility and income ascension with your real estate business. Brilliant stuff. Also there is a great post on the ONLY way you'll ever make 30 grand a month as a real estate investor and/or business builder. Another brilliant class with a free downloadable Investor Guide is about 19 Ways to Make $10,000 a Month by Helping Tired Landlords.
Plus make sure you check out Azam's post on how to hire a realtor that makes you $10,000 a month... while you sit back with your shoes kicked up on your desk and fingers folded behind your head. Also there is a great post on how to make five grand a week from putting out signs.
Also we have some great posts on 30 ways to buy real estate with no money down. That is a two part series so make sure to watch the second part on the 30 ways to buy real estate zero down and with no loans or credit. I also get questions about our "Epic Flipping" and how to turn $1 into over $25,000 by flipping ordinary items for exponentially high ROI.
And don’t forget our EPIC page on 100 FREE ways to find motivated sellers, we are making the number one page in the world on FREE ways of finding motivated sellers. Also check out how I find motivated sellers from code violation properties, and also how I make over $1,500 a week giving investors access to that list.
Speaking of lists, for a list of the "Good People" and My Indy Anna Homeys - this is a FREE list of EVERY possible contact that you'll ever need to build a real estate business in the Indianapolis or the Midwest.
Also perhaps the most important class Azam has done is on the "Frequency of Thought" and how to use the laws of quantum physics to rewire your brain, attract brilliance like a lightning rod and be the best version of yourself. Check out this epic 3-hour class on Quantum Real Estate.
When I first go started I thought wouldn't it be great if somebody put together ONE list of every possible contact that I would ever need to build a passive income with Indiana real estate - or any Midwest real estate? Well that's exaclty what I did with our “People Page” here it is:
A totally FREE list of every possible real estate professional contact you’ll ever need to do unlimited deals, start and scale your real estate business and create generational passive income with real estate anywhere Indiana or the Midwest.
Thanks so much! = )
Make the Universe Smile.
~ Indy Anna
Love (at) BigReia.com
(YES that's my actual Direct Line and I really do answer lol, so please text me first Thx!)
How to Double Close Legally, Simultaneous and Closing Double Closings for Real Estate Investors and Wholesalers Explained.
How real estate investors can double close deals, wholesaling real estate and double closing.
Real estate investors: take this quiz to see if your business will ever make you $100k/month in passive income.
Real estate investors here’s a 10 question quiz to see if your business will ever make you 100k/month and beyond
How to invest in multifamily real estate for beginners.
What is Driving for Dollars to Find Motivated Seller Leads – how to find off market deals and make 20k/month driving for dollars?
The Ultimate Guide to Driving for Dollars and Making 20k/Month: Because Walking for Dollars is Too Slow Every real estate investor should know what "Driving for Dollars" means and how it works to find motivated seller leads, even if you are never use the strategy. ...
How to buy 30 rentals by recycling the same $20,000 - the BRRRR Method on steroids. The only real estate investors who win big are the ones who buy and hold real estate for several years. A great way to do this is to buy rental properties and recycle your cash so...
How to House Hack for Real Estate Investors. House hacking can be a great strategy for real estate investors. House hacking allows real estate investors, especially beginners, start buying rental properties by living in part of them and having your tenants pay all or...
How to build a real estate wholesaling business that makes you $100k/month keeps you out of jail? Real estate wholesaling is a very popular term right now. However, very few real estate people know how to wholesale correctly and now that laws are changing many...
Can pay off a rental property in the FIRST year just signs and flyers? Just about the surest way to secure a passive income of $30,000/month that will last forever is own rental properties that are paid off. As a smart real estate investor you REALLY need to develop...
Can you really make 100k/month using ugly handwritten signs? I've never met a real estate investor who truly understood the power and profitability of using signs. I can boldly and confidently say that NO real estate or business person on the planet has made more...
Real Estate Investors: how to buy small businesses zero down by writing better lead generation ads? Very few real estate investors grows their business because most of them do not look at their business AS a business. Any great real estate investor should be able to...
How any real estate investor can make an extra 25 grand a month from bad inspection reports? Nobody real estate investor should ever buy a property without an inspection. There are a few exceptions but they are rare. Normally a property will fail the inspection and...
Can a SINGLE letter make a real estate investors over $10 million? Every real estate should learn the skill of copy writing and how to notice and write good copy. The right letter, marketing campaign or email series can totally change a business from the inside out. ...
Create $10,000 a month passive income with real estate drone photography. Every real estate investor should look into having a drone photographer business. Imagine if you had a portfolio of images and videos that were recorded, uploaded and producing "rent" every day...
How to create passive income by transforming ordinary and BORING marketing into lead magnets by turning them into lead generating quizzes. If you can generate your own leads then you have your own economy. Every real estate investors and small business owner needs to...
How to create a lead magnet by turning ordinary marketing into a lead generating quiz that makes you $50,000 a month?
How to create passive income by transforming ordinary and BORING marketing into lead magnets by turning them into lead generating quizzes. If you can generate your own leads then you have your own economy. Every real estate investors and small business owner needs to...
How to make money with vacant land and raw land even if you don't own the land yourself - 57 ways to make money with land zero down. Real estate investors should learn the basics of how to make money raw land and vacant land. There are many ways to add extra income...
How two pennies attached to a letter changed ALL marketing and helped us write a letter that has made over $25M and counting.... Every real estate investor should know how to write copy. Since most people in real estate don't even know what "copywriting" is, it is...
How a Missouri mechanic hired a realtor who makes him a consistent $10,000 a month with no money down and no loans. Every real estate investors needs to know how to build their dream team that can close deals for them. Today I'll show you how we train our realtors to...
How to use pet policies to buy apartment buildings and create passive income zero down and without a loan. Buy apartment buildings zero down is nearly impossible and few real estate investors are able to do it predictably. Today you'll see a crazy way to buy...
Exactly how many houses ("Safehouses") do I need to make $30,000/month in passive income and can I buy them all with no money down and without banks or loans? Every real estate investor needs to create passive income. All generational wealth is passive income...
This is the single fastest way that I know for a real estate investor to make $30,000 a month in passive income?
How any real estate investor can create a passive income of $30,000 a month? If you're a real estate investor then you are really a business owner and for any business owner there is ONE secret ingredient to making a passive income of $30,000 a month. Today we will...
Want to buy apartment buildings zero down and make $100,000 a month? This is for you. Buying apartment buildings and investing in commercial real estate is a great way to create passive income. You can get started with no money and bad credit IF you learn the right...
How does a special needs soccer MOM make 15 grand a month from putting out signs? If you could make 10-15 grand a month or more from putting out ugly signs, would you do it? Most people would at least want to know more and that's what today is all about. Right...
What is a DSCR loan? No income verification loans to buy rental properties and buy unlimited houses?
Debt Service Coverage Ratio (DSCR) loans 101, how real estate investors can get unlimited no income verification loans to buy rental properties? Every good real estate investor needs to know about rental properties and creative ways to finance houses. Today we will...
Here's the biggest secret I learned from Stephen Covey's book "The 7 habits of highly effective people" and how real estate investors can use it to make 30k/month passive income. Author Stephen Covey's book "The 7 habits of highly effective people" has sold over 40...
How to screen tenants to find the perfect "Forever Tenants" - you can get ONE tenant to pay off your entire mortgage. Imagine finding one perfect tenant that stays so long that they pay off your entire rental, that would be something right? You can do it much easier...
How to find good tenants in less than 24 hours, five steps to fill vacant rental houses immediately?
Five steps to finding perfect tenants in less than 24 hours? If you want to create passive income in real estate then you and your team need to know how to screen tenants. The value of your properties and your level of income depend on your skill to locate, screen...
How to leave closing with $5,000, buy rentals and walk away from closing with cash for the next one?
How to buy a rental property and leave closing with over $5,000? Here's how to buy a rental property and walk away from closing with over $5,000 for your next deal. We developed this process called the "Money Recycler" that allows any real estate investor to reuse...
How to replace a roof in three steps? How much does it cost to replace a roof on my rental property?
How much does it cost to replace a roof on my rentals? How to replace or repair a roof in three steps. Real estate investors need to know how much it costs to replace and repair roofs. If you want to extend the life of your properties then you need to maintain roof...
Three cheap ways to add 10-20k in value to your rental properties, great for BRRRR deals refinancing
Three cheap and fast ways to add 10-20k value to your rentals and flips. As a real estate investor you need to know how to force appreciate and raise the value of your properties very quickly. This skill will help you do more deals, make more money and build passive...
We added a bedroom to this rental and got an extra $300/month in rent and $15k in value, here's how... Every real estate investor should think about adding bedrooms to your rental properties. It doesn't always make sense but if the math works then you can make a...
Indiana real estate wholesaler scams and how to avoid them – out of state investors be aware of this
Most Indiana "Wholesalers" SUCK Donkey Dongs... here's what you need to know. Every single week I get calls, texts and emails from investors who tell me about yet another Indy "wholesaler" running some kind of scam on them. I hate to speak ill of anybody but these...
Do it yourself plumbing and welding for real estate investors. You can do basic welding and plumbing work yourself and it will add to your arsenal as a real estate investor. You won't just save money but you'll be able to better filter deals in the future because...
Upgrading home electrical wiring and systems for real estate investors. Most real estate investors ignore the electrical systems of properties and this is a big mistake. A single problem with an electrical system can cost you tens of thousands or more. Many of these...
How to spot bad quality construction work from zillow pictures, find signs of cheap contractor work?
How to look at Zillow pictures and spot bad construction work and other red flags? Every real estate investor needs to know how to screen deals and so the faster you can filter through houses, the more efficient you can be. Looking at pictures on Zillow and other...
How to add a bedroom to your rentals and add over 20k in equity while increasing rent over 500/month
How adding one bedroom increased rent by $500/month and added over 20k in value? Adding a bedroom to a rental property can make a big difference. I made a previous class about this and after a few question came in this is a follow you so you can see exactly how much...
What is the cost of roof repair and roof replacement on your rentals and what is the best and cheapest way get roofing work done? Every real estate investor should know the details about replacing and/or repairing a roof on rental properties. Today you'll see the...
My rental burned down, now what? What happens with fire insurance when your rentals get fire damage?
What to do if your rental property burns down? If a rental property catches fire and burns down there are several things that will happen and every real estate investor needs to know what to do. I hope this situation never happens to you but if it does you need to be...
How to paint your rental houses cheaper. Nearly every rental property that a real estate investor will ever own will need to be painted at some point. That is why it is important that you learn to paint houses in the in the best, cheapest way possible. Today you'll...
How adding a bedroom to your rentals increases the ARV and rental income, watch a real life example?
Add a bedroom to your rentals and you get more rent and higher flip value, here's an example. Adding a bedroom to a house can boost the rental income and resale value but you must be careful to make sure you get the best return. Every real estate investor should look...
Why kitchen renovations are so important when flipping houses and doing BRRRR method on Indy houses?
Why kitchen renovations are so important to real estate investors when flipping houses? Nearly all important decisions of a household are made at the kitchen table. The kitchen is the heart of a home and every successful real estate investor knows that. If you want...
How to replace windows cheaply when flipping houses? Indianapolis real estate investing for beginners
How to replace windows cheap and easy on your rentals - tip for Indiana real estate investors. Window repair and replacement can add up on your rentals. That's why it is important for every real estate investor to know how to replace their windows cheaply and...
Landords: How to avoid busted water pipes in winter and freezing temperatures. A single water pipe bursting can be a nightmare for a real estate investor. That is why it is important every investors understands how to care for pipes and other plumbing details to...
Don't cut corners on electric work when you're flipping houses, here's what to look for. Electric work is very important for real estate investors to understand when you are buying and selling houses. One mistake with electrical systems or wiring can cost you tens of...
How I took my business from zero to over $10 million with a lead generating quiz, leads from quizzes
How to create a predictable source of leads and sales with a lead generation and converting quiz, and taking a business from zero to over $20M? As a real estate investor or business builder your revenue is based on your ability to generate and convert leads...
Beta male Will Smith slapped Chris Rock, here’s what passive real estate investors can learn from it
Chris Rock got slapped by a deadbeat turd, here's what real estate investors can learn from it. Chris Rock is a legend but if you were to look up the word "cuck" you should see a picture of Will Smith. Today Azam will go over the larger ramifications of "The Slap...
How to get insurance for potential sewer and plumbing problems that may come up after purchasing rental properties? Real estate investors know about how dangerous foundation problems can be, but fewer know about the costly problems that sewer and plumbing issues can...
How to add AC and heating to a house with no duct work? How to do cheap HVAC work using mini splits?
Mini Splits: How to add heating and air conditioning to your rental if it doesn't have any vents or ducts? Doing HVAC work can be expensive for any real estate investor. There is a that real estate investors should know about HVAC units and how they differ from Mini...
How to increase square footage on rentals for 10% of the normal cost, converting porches into rooms?
Huge potential value add to rentals by converting porches into extra square footage. A real estate investor needs to know how to add value, the better you are at seeing those opportunities the more money you'll make. Porches provide a unique opportunity to increase...
How to do BRRRR deals when interest rates go up, the market turns and the zombies apocalypse all hell breaks loose... and still WIN BIG. Every smart real estate investor needs to be able to do deals and make good money regardless of what's happening the the market. ...
The Elephant Rope: How to use the power of optimism to grow businesses and create generational wealth as a real estate investor. Could making a single 10 second video make you $25,000 a month every month for the next two years? Optimism can be a powerful weapon and...
Should I paint my rentals with a brush by hand or with a paint sprayer? Every real estate investor and landlord will have to deal with painting their rentals. In recent years many painters use a paint sprayer instead of using a roll and doing it by hand. A sprayer...
Five questions about investing in Indianapolis real estate: how to start with $20,000. I asked a group of female real estate investors what their biggest questions were about getting into Indiana real estate and these are the top five questions. Included we'll talk...
Indianapolis real estate wholesaling scams – how to avoid being ripped off by Indy wholesaling turds
Indianapolis real estate wholesaler scams are on the rise - here's how to avoid being a victim and find GOOD Indy people to work with. Indianapolis real estate wholesalers have a (well deserved) bad reputation so today we will talk about you can avoid being scammed. ...
The Philosophy of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Stoic Philosophy – book review and investor lessons
Book review of Stoic Philosophy As Rational Cognitive Psychotherapy. Here's another book review for real estate investors and business builders, today we'll talk about how stoicism can be used as and/or with cognitive behavioral therapy. This is right up our alley...
Investing in Indianapolis Turnkey Rentals, Remotely from Out of State... getting on our waiting list. We have been helping real estate investors from out of state create passive income with Indiana real estate. We accepted investor applications and helped our Heroes...
Here are the documents that you need for your bank to refinance your house or rental. Every real estate investor needs to understand how to refinance a property, so here is a list of items that your bank will require in order to refinance a home. Even if you pay all...
How do interest rates effect real estate investors - both flippers and buy-and-hold people - and how you can stay ahead of the pack? Every real estate investor needs to know about interest rates. The rates will effect your ARV, your offers, your refinance ability,...
How to hand drywall, for both landlords and homeowners. Hanging drywall is probably the most common repair done in a home. Today I'll answer a few questions about drywall and how to hang (install) it correctly. This applies for both real estate investors and normal...
How to pay off your rental properties in less than a year - from using signs and flyers? The secret to passive income in real estate is to own real estate free and clear with no mortgage. Today we will talk about 10 ways to pay off your rental property mortgages in...
Book review of “Meditations” by Marcus Aurelius, Azam goes over the best lessons for real investors.
Book review of "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius and lessons for real estate invest business builders. Here's another series in our book reviews for real estate investors, today we'll go Meditations and take the best ideas Marcus Aurelius had to share. Being stoic...
The most expensive repairs to look out for when rehabbing houses, costliest fixes in house flipping.
The most expensive home repairs to look out for when you're flipping houses. As a real estate investor a lot of your success is going to depend on how well you can estimate repairs accurately. Today we'll cover the most expensive repairs to look out for when you're...
How to protect your rental property from water damage with drylok. To be a good landlord or property manager you need to be able to prevent water damage and do repairs quickly. Drylok is a waterproofing product that a lot of people use and today you'll learn all the...
How to read closing documents, what real estate investors should understand about closing paperwork.
How to read closing documents, what real estate investors should know about closing paperwork. It is important for real estate investors understand "Closing documents" and all the paperwork that is involved in closing a real estate transaction. Today we'll go over...
“My hard money loans aren’t closing and now my realtor won’t with me anymore” how to close HML loans
How to make sure your deals close when you're using a hard money lender. Real estate investors are required to disclose that they are using hard money loans to purchase a property, and that can often turn off a realtor or seller. It just isn't the same as saying...
How to get unlimited loans for rental properties with no income verification? Debt service coverage ration loans explained. As a real estate investor you MUST be aware of DSCR or debt service coverage ratio loans. A DSCR loan allows you to buy rental properties with...
How long after purchase can I refinance an investment property with the BRRRR method? Real estate investors using the BRRRR method will rely on refinancing to pull out cash, pay off their hard money loans and/or lower their monthly payment with a better long term...
What is a vapor barrier, why do I need one and how I install a vapor or moisture barrier in rentals?
How I install vapor barrier moisture barriers in my rentals? When do I know that I need one? When buying rentals and rehabbing properties you need to limit moisture damage as much as possible. You're about to see me use a vapor barrier on a duplex deal that had...
Do I need to hire licensed contractors? Is there a real difference? Really? (Yes and here's why) If you are serious about flipping houses or creating a $30,000+/monthly passive income in real estate then you need to understand construction. This skill will save you...
How to flip houses on wooded lots without electric wiring problems? As a real estate investor even a slight mistake or a tiny overlooked item can turn a money making deal into a disaster that costs you a fortune and takes years to recoup. One of those big potential...
How to start a real estate drone photography business from zero and make 10k/month in passive income
Real Estate Investors: How to start a drone photography business that makes you an extra $5,000 - $10,000 a month by using your current footage? Nearly everybody in real estate is using drone photographer in their marketing but few people understand how profitable it...
Discourses of Epictetus book review for real estate estate investors. There are many benefits a real estate investor can enjoy by studying stoicism. Most investors fail miserably and as financial blogger Jeff Rose explains his real estate failures, the stress and...
Real life 29k+ Indy real estate flip, just put this on the market, watch what happens flipping live?
Here's a $29,000+ Indy Real Estate Flip: This house just went live watch what happens and how well it sells. The most important parts of flipping real estate and real estate investing in general is the average "DOM" or days on market. The micro flipping giant...
How do I read and use a Scope of Work when flipping houses, working with hard money and contractors?
How to read and use a Scope of Work, or SOW, from a general contractor to rehab and flip houses. As a real estate investor you must understand how to rehab houses. Here's a story of newbie investor who built a 6-figure portfolio and she talked about the need to learn...
“I just closed my first real estate flip and made over $30,000 THANK YOU ANNA!” Real life flip deal?
Hero closes his first flip and walks away from closing with over $30,000 in cold, hard cash? Doing your first real estate flip is exciting. According to this author at Bigger Pockets the failure rate of real estate investors is over 95%. Today you'll see how working...
Real estate investors: How to secure your rehab deals to prevent theft while you repair the property
How to prevent theft, burglaries and stolen appliances while you repair your properties for flipping or renting. As a real estate investor you will be flipping houses to a buyer or a renter, in either case you need to know how to secure your properties. It is...
Real life 30k real estate flip in Indy, just listed – how to deal with an ethical hard money lender.
30k Indianapolis Real Estate Flip: How to deal with hard money lender who is a complete turd? The last phase of a real estate flips is putting the house on the market. If you did it correctly then this will be smooth process and the market will dictate the average...
20k Indy turnkey real estate deal, how to replace power box in under 48 hours after power is stolen?
Previous tenant was stealing electricity and power, how do you deal with with utility company? This is a 20k+ Indy real estate deal and this week we'll go over how we dealt with getting a brand new power box and account set up. Sometimes working with utilities can...
Rented this house in under 24 hours, $1,200 payment and $1,600/month rent and leave closing with 12k
Left Closing With $12,000 and Rented in Less Than 24 Hours? Indy BRRRR deal from start to finish. This is the ninth and final Deal Dissection Series Episode for Brenda. We just helped our Hero complete the refinance, pull his cash (and then 12k more) out and have...
Here's a real life refinance part of the "BRRRR" Method, investor leaves closing with 20k more than he put in AND 2k/monthly cash. If you want to do the BRRRR Method or use our Money Recycler process and buy 20 properties for 20k for example, then you must make sure...
Brand new 21k Indy real estate Buy-and-Hold deal and how we're using a tornado room for better rent. As real estate investors who are pursuing passive income, we understand better than most the importance of turning lemons into lemonade to make the most our rental...
Brand new 20k Indy turnkey real estate deal: working with hoarding, squatter tenants before closing?
Brand New 23k Deal: how to deal with hoarders and squatting tenants right before closing? If you do enough real estate deals you will eventually run into inherited tenants and even squatting tenants that the owner may or may not know about. Today we'll go over a...
A BRAND NEW 20k Indy Buy and Hold (BRRRR) Deal: how common names can kill a deal? Being able to see a real life real estate from start to finish is a great way to learn how to be a better real estate investor. This is a brand new Deal Dissection Series on a 20k...
Real Life $20,000 BRRRR Deal: how to rent ALL of your rentals before the first mortgage payment is due. The biggest factor in your long term success as a passive income real estate investor is going to be property management. Today we will go over a recent 20k BRRRR...
How to get FREE motivated seller leads and make an extra 10-30k/month from bad, awful and deal-killing inspection reports? I always get questions about how we find so many deals and motivated seller leads so today we'll go over a FREE source of motivated sellers that...
Seven ways to pay off your rental properties in less than 1-5 years - a MUST know resource for real estate investors who want passive income. One of the TOP questions people always ask me is how we can create equity so fast and pay down the mortgages for our Heroes,...
Indianapolis 27k+ Real Estate Flip: Lesson on solving dehumidifier problems and how to avoid them in the future. As we get this flip (Fredhurst) ready to list on the market there are some good lessons that I've been learning that I hope can help you. I knew about...
What every real estate investor needs to know about local historical societies and how they can ruin your deals. This is the next phase in the 50k+ BRRRR duplex deal, this week you'll see what happened to a local investor who got burned by his local historical...
Indianapolis 30k real estate flip: how to get 15k worth of electric wiring work done for under $1500
30k Indianapolis Real Estate Flip: How to get $15,000 worth of electrical work done for less than $1,500? I learn a lot with every deal we do, and this flip is no different. Today we'll go over some updates on the recent progress on this 30k Indianapolis real estate...
How to find a 7% essential business leased commercial property? Commercial business deals off MLS? Even if you're not a commercial real estate investor, you should understand how to find a property with at least a 7% cap rate from a tenant who is an essential...
30k Indianapolis BRRRR Deal – “$7,000 water damage because tenant didn’t know THIS about well water”
How to educate your tenants about WELL water properties to avoid flood damage. This is an Indianapolis real estate flip, a 30k deal. There was a big problem that happened with the previous owner and their tenants that cost the owner over 7k. This would've been...
Indy 50k BRRRR deal: utility and permit problems cost investor 40k, here’s how to fix those problems
Utility and permit problems cost this real estate investor over $40,000 on a single deal, here's how to avoid that from happening to you. This class is an update on a 50k BRRRR deal. I got an interesting call from an investor who just lost his shirt on a deal because...
How to make 30k/month in passive income with Indy real estate, Azam Meo’s magic calculator revealed?
Passive Income Blueprint: How to make 30 grand a month in passive income with Midwest real estate, without leaving your house... it is just a matter of math. This may be the most requested topic and question I've gotten in the last few months. If you are wondering...
Book reviews and lessons for real estate investors: "Bright Line Eating" review Eating and getting your diet and food intake right is important in order to live the life that you really want. So many of you have asked Azam to review a book like this relating to diet...
30k Indy real estate flip - how we were able to change all the plumbing at nearly zero cost - and why... This is an update on Fredhurst, the 30k Indianapolis real estate flip and how we recently changed all the plumbing as we get it ready for market. This is a great...
Real life 20k BRRRR deal – when urine soaked floors are a health hazard and material delay for weeks
Real Life Indianapolis 20k BRRRR Deal: How to deal with health hazard amounts of urine and being immune shipping delays. Here's another update on Breesha, the 20k BRRRR deal, we are just about ready for it to be rented even though we just closed a few weeks ago. ...
50k Indy BRRRR deal – what to do if the utility company is taking months to get you power or service
Indianapolis real estate investing from out of state: here's an update on the 50k+ BRRRR deal We are a few weeks away from having this duplex done, here is an update on where we are at with the 50k+ BRRRR deal in Indy. We also talk about how to deal with BS delays...
Wholesalers are the red-headed stepchild of real estate - here's how to build a wholesaling real estate business CORRECTLY... (and make 100 grand a month doing it) Whenever somebody says that I'm too hard on wholesalers I know for certain that either they are a...
Book review: “Grit: The power of passion and perseverance” by Angela Duckworth – books for investors
Books reviews and the best lessons for real estate investors: review of "Grit" the power of passion and perseverance. This book is about defining and mathematically measuring one's stick-to-it-iveness and ability to finsih things you start. The author defines this...
Investing in Indianapolis real estate remotely from out of state: A real life 93k+ BRRRR deal, all the details from start to finish. Here's an update on Brandon, the 100k+ BRRRR deal. This week's update is about the new updates and work done as well as how we dealt...
19k Indianapolis BRRRR deal – watch us convert a meth lab into a family game room for 1% Indy house?
Indiana Real Estate Investing for Out of State Investors: Here's a $19,000 real life BRRRR deal, watch us convert a meth lab into a game room. Here's an update on one of our Deal Dissections for the deal named Breesha, the 19k+ BRRRR deal. We are just about finished...
30k BRRRR deal in Indy – when you have to replace and gas and water lines and connect to city water?
Indy real estate estate flip: 30k+ BRRRR deal and what to do with gas and power lines to get them connected to the city? Here's an update on "Brenda" as we finish this 30k+ BRRRR deal, today we'll go over the recent progress as well what I learned about gas and power...
29k real estate flip in Indy, why we always change batteries in the thermostat when rehabbing houses
Indianapolis real estate flip: A 30k deal and how a simple pack of batteries can save you over $15,000 on each rehab. Here's another Deal Dissection Episode, this is for the 30k Indy flip named Fredhurst. Today we'll go over the updates for the week and you'll also...
Indy 27k+ real estate flip – how to rehab a house roof when satellite dish installation created rot?
Here's a 27k+ Indianapolis real estate flip: how to deal with roof "dish damage"? Here's an update on a $27,000+ real estate flip in Indianapolis, this is how out of state investors can create passive income with Indy real estate. In this episode you'll see more...
A brand spanking new 20k BRRRR deal in Indy, here's what to do when you find a crack in the foundation? This is a NEW Deal Dissection Series on Breesha, a $20,000+ BRRRR deal in Indy. People often ask me to post new deals so that every week they can follow along, so...
Leverage for real estate investors: how to turn $10,000 into $100,000 on a SINGLE deal? Today we will go over how a TINY amount of effort can create a MASSIVE result. We'll talk about the physics of a lever and how the math of leverage can be used to grow your real...
Book review of "The Art of Taking Action" and the best lessons for real estate investors. This is a book about taking Japanese philosophies and cultural ideas can help improve your life and business. We'll go over the top ideas and takeaways from the book and...
Update on a $28,000 real estate flip in Indianapolis. By now you should've gone through our classes on how to build equity and create passive income and learned how we collect potential equity and then use FLIPS to create actual equity. If you had an extra 20k here...
Real life 93 grand BRRRR Indy duplex deal, how to invest in Indianapolis remotely for passive income
Update on our 93k+ BRRRR deal with an Indy duplex, this is how to invest remotely in Indianapolis real estate. To build a passive income in real estate you MUST build your equity positions. You can build equity with deals just like this one PLUS you are also building...
A real life 31k real estate flip in Indianapolis, this is how I help out of state investors do deals
$31,000 Indiana real estate flip. Here's an update on the Deal Dissection Series for Faison Episode III. We are in the middle of doing htis flip and you'll see some of the challenges that have come up and how we deal with them. Copy our checklists and you'll be...
Here's a real life $100,000 BRRRR deal with an Indianapolis duplex. This is an update to the Deal Dissection Series: Brandon Episode IV. For the investors who want to know what it is like to invest in Indy rentals and create passive from out of the state, this is a...
Update on the 29k+ Indy real estate flip, watch the progress and see how to flip houses in real life
Indy $29,000+ real estate flip, out of state investors PAY ATTENTION to this. This is an update on the Deal Dissection Series for Faison, the 30k+ flip in Indianapolis. There are a lot of things that come up with a deal like that's why it is so important that we...
Indiananapolis 100k BRRRR deal with a duplex. This is another Deal Dissection video, this time it is an update on Brandon, the 100k BRRRR duplex deal. Here you'll see what happens as we complete the second draw and get closer to renting it and the refinance. ...
Brand new 33k+ Indy real estate flip, this is how to flip houses from out of state with a good team.
Indianapolis $30,000 real estate flip: how to deal with BS closing "costs" and loan fees. So here's a BRAND NEW Deal Dissection Series: The Faison Episodes. Remember every deal that we dissect has a specific purpose and lesson, in this case there are a few things...
A 30k Indy flip, get a behind the scenes look at how to fix and flip houses remotely in Indianapolis
Here's another $30,000 real estate flip in Indianapolis, new update. This is the Deal Dissection Series for the FREDHURST episodes. This is the second update and here's you'll see the progress and how well things are moving along. Remember we ONLY do FLIP deals as a...
Here’s a $29,000+ BRRRR deal in Indianapolis, all the details and how to invest in Indy remotely now
Want to invest in Indiana remotely from out of state? Here's an example of a $29,000 BRRRR deal that can be done without leaving your house. Here's another BigReia.com Deal Dissection Episode, here's you'll see the sage that "Brenda" has become lol. These deals are...
Real life 40k BRRRR deal in Indianapolis, purchased for 100k + 40k rehab and value of 215k: 1% house
Behind the scenes look at a $40,000+ BRRRR deal in Indy, here's how to invest remotely in Indianapolis. Here's another Deal Dissection Series, in this episode you'll get an update on a killer BRRRR deal. This is how we use the "Money Recycler" to re-use the same...
Update on the 35k+ BRRRR deal in Indianapolis, total cost 140k after repair value 215k, watch it all
Here's an update on one our $35,000+ BRRRR deals in Indianapolis. Here's another Deal Dissection Series, this is an update on the "Brenda" Episode Five. We've had some challenges with this deal and you'll see how we get through it every week and absorb the issues...
Here's a 30 grand real estate flip in Indy, we just put this on the market - see what happens and how well it sells. This a real estate FLIP in Indianapolis named "Fred" that we just listed and put on the market. This is the latest in our Deal Dissection Series and...
How many Indy rental houses do you need to buy to make $30,000 a month in passive income? (The math)
Here's all the math you need to know as a real estate investor to make $30,000 a month in passive income from rental houses. Exactly how many rental properties do you need to make a passive income of $30,000 a month? Here's all the math and how any out of state...
Book review of “An Iron Will” by Dr. Orison Swett Marden, books real estate investors and businesses
Book review of "An Iron Will" by Orison Swett Marden (founder of Success magazine) and the top lessons for real estate investors Here's a book review of "An Iron Will" and we'll go over the top lessons for real estate investors and business owners and how you can...
I bought a house for 275k and it rents for over $5,000 a month? Real life Indy real estate deal 2021
How to buy a house for 275k and rent it out for $5,000+ a month? (Short Term Rentals) This is a Deal Dissection video on a new deal we just closed and it is a Buy and Hold but it is a bit different than most because it will be more than a "2% House" and the price is...
A real life $50,000 BRRRR deal with an Indianapolis duplex, this is how to remotely invest in Indiana from out of state and create passive income. This Deal Dissection Episode is a beautiful update on the duplex deal name "Brooklyn", we are now fully rented and...
Why we NEVER skip inspections, what real estate investors should look for in the inspection reports.
Why you should NEVER skip real estate inspections and how (and why) every investor needs to be an amateur inspector. Recently somebody asked me why it is so important that we do the inspection before buying our houses. No matter how experienced you are there is NO...
Book review of “The Marshmallow Test” by Walter Mischel, books for real estate investors and lessons
Book review of "The Marshmallow Test", books for real estate investors. Azam Meo - rhymes with KO - reviews The Marshmallow Test and outlines the takeaways for real estate investors business builders. This is about how "gratification delay" in one area of your life...
Here's how to use the SAME $50,000 and buy 20+ Indianapolis rentals with "Money Recycler" - the BRRRR Method explained. Here's a simple process you can use to leverage your money and continue using the SAME money to collect millions in equity. This is a process we...
Here's a BRAND NEW real life $38,000+ Indianapolis real estate flip, remote investing in Indy from out of state step-by-step walkthrough. Here's another Deal Dissection Episode on a BRAND new deal named "Fred Hurst", this is the first episode on this deal and you can...
Here's a $70,000+ BRRRR duplex deal in the Indianapolis real estate market, step by step walkthrough. Here's another Deal Dissection Episode, this is the second update on "Brandon" the nearly $100k+ BRRRR "flip", here's the update for this week. We are in the process...
Update on "Fred" - A $30,000 Indianapolis real estate flip with an out of state investor. Here's the latest as we enter the final stages of putting this house on the market. Remember this deal is "Fred" and it should net our Hero about 30k+ and you'll see where we...
How to pay off your rentals in less than 2-3 years? Out of state Indianapolis landlords do THIS now.
Indiana real estate investors from out of state:How to pay off your rentals in less than 2-3 years? Creating a passive income of $30,000 a month by paying off houses and building equity at light speed. The SINGLE biggest secret to "getting rich" is collecting equity...
Book review of “The Nichomachean Ethics” by Aristotle, one of the most influential books ever? (Yes)
Books for real estate investors: The Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle, lessons for real estate investors. This is one of the most influential books ever written, in this class we'll do a deep dive into the The Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle. We will go over the top...
Real life $25,000 Indy house flip, example of an Indianapolis real estate deal from start to finish?
Indianapolis real estate investing from out of state example deal: Here's a $25,000 Indy real estate flip, full walkthrough step by step. Here's another part of Deal Dissection Series: Fred Episode 3, so this is the third video update on this deal. Now you'll see the...
$38,000 deal using BRRRR in the Indianapolis real estate market, do this as an out of state investor
Watch us do a $38,000 real estate flip or BRRRR deal in Indianapolis for an out of state investor, get a behind the scenes look at every step. Here's another Deal Dissection Series: Brenda Episode 2, this is a $38,000 deal and we could flip it or do a BRRRR process...
Real life 23k Indy house flip example, watch along as we flip houses in Indianapolis remotely today.
How to invest in Indianapolis real estate from out of state? Here's a $23,000 real life flip in the Indy market, complete behind the scenes look. Here's another Deal Dissection Episode on Fred: a single family residential real estate flip in the Indianapolis market. ...
Want to invest in Indianapolis real estate remotely from out of the state? Here's an example of a $50,000 BRRRR deal, we help our people do deals like this everyday... Here's another update on "Brooklyn" we have it fully rehabbed and now the second side was rented...
Real life 50k BRRRR deal in Indianapolis – How to invest in Indiana remotely and do deals from home.
A real life $50,000 Indianapolis real estate flip, perfect example remote investing in Indiana? Here's another Deal Dissection video on "Brooklyn" where we'll go over a 50k deal, remember these could be BRRRR deals OR flips and these are the kinds of deals we help out...
How to invest in Indiana real estate from out of the state? Here's a real life $70,000 BRRRR and/or Flip deal in the Indy market. This is a BRAND NEW deal, Brandon, and this is the first Brandon episode for our Deal Dissection Series where we give you a FULL behind...
Real estate investor makes 30k/month for three years from ONE buyer? Get my exact script/emails free
The Hectupler Model: "Here's ONE buyer is making me $30,000 a month for the next three years... and how any real estate investor can do the same thing." This is a great way to create passive income by growing companies overnight. In this class we will talk about how...
Indy real estate investors: how to close super fast and get realtors to bring you 25k deals for free
Out of state Indianapolis real estate investors: Your team needs to close fast in order for you to get the best deals, here's how... Here is the second tip of 19 tips for remote Indianapolis real estate investors from out of state to create $30,000 a month in passive...
Book review of Deep Work, books for real estate investors – one page book summaries the best lessons
Book reviews for real estate investors - Deep Work book review and lessons for real estate investors. Here's another book review, today we'll go over Deep Work by Cal Newport and the top lessons and takeaways for real estate investors. This a part in our series of...
Here's a real life $30,000 Indianapolis real estate flip, Indy Deal Dissection step by step walkthrough from A-Z. This is the first video in this Deal Dissection series where you see the start of $30,000 flip in the Indy market. You'll see everything from start to...
Indy remote turnkey investors: update on the 50k BRRRR deal, real life example of an Indiana rental duplex deal
Update on the $50,000 Indy duplex BRRRR deal, real life Indianapolis real estate Deal Dissection. Here's an updated on our Deal Dissection Series where we break down real life Indianapolis real estate deals from start to finish, today we'll do an update on the...
How to buy 10 Indianapolis rentals from out of state and NEVER have negative cash flow ever again? One of the biggest problems that Buy and Hold investors encounter is negative cash flow. It slows them down, costs time and money and can set your passive income...
What is an escalation clause and what to real estate investors need to know about them? I got a few questions about "escalation clauses" and what they are and what Indianapolis real estate investors need to know about them. Today we'll talk about what escalation...
What does it mean to buy a property as-is and what are the risks to real estate investors? As you look at real estate deals you'll see the term "As-Is" on properties, so what does it mean? Here's a breakdown of exactly what "as is" offers mean and what real estate...
The 10 Million Dollar Egg Letter: copywriting for real estate investors and FREE download of the egg-cellent letter. This is a fun class about creating passive income, today we'll talk about a single, two-page letter that made a Hero over $10 million. You'll see the...
How Indiana Turnkey Investors can build their team CORRECTLY so they bring you a predictable six figure passive income. If you are an out of state real estate investor who is remotely investing in the Indiana market to create a passive income then you MUST go through...
Book review of "Faster Smarter Better", books for real estate investors and entrepreneurs. Here's another five minute (kind of) book review of Charles Duhigg's book "Faster Smarter Better". We'll go over the best lessons and excerpts and what these insights mean to...
Indianapolis turnkey real estate investing BRRRR deal, a 50k "flip" complete walkthrough from start to finish. This is an update on "Brooklyn", the BRRRR duplex deal. This is going to be a cash cow, but right now we are building it up to that and I'll be updating you...
Indy 20k house flip example and update. Indianapolis turnkey investing real life example of 25k flip?
Indianapolis turnkey real estate investing example: a behind the scenes look at a $20,000 flip. Here's an update on "Fred" the single family 20k flip in Indy. We will go over the status and how close we are to listing the property. Remember to stay in the loop...
How to do Indianapolis turnkey real estate investing from out of state, and my team does everything?
Indianapolis turnkey real estate investing: flip houses in the Indy and ALSO buy long term rentals without all remotely without ever stepping foot in Indy. (unless you want to) Here's the five step process my team and I use to help real estate investors from out of...
Here's a $50,000 flip and a BRRRR duplex deal, an Indianapolis turnkey real estate investing deal from start to finish. Here's a good example of a BRRRR deal and an Indianapolis turnkey real estate investing deal, you can follow along the entire process with the...
Indy house flipping example, here’s a $20,000 flip from start to finish, Indy real estate live deal.
Here's a real life $20,000 Indy real estate flip, Indianapolis turnkey real estate investing example. This is the deal "Fred" as I've been updating you guys throughout every step of the process. This is an example of an Indianapolis turnkey investing example of a...
Remote investing in Indiana real estate, why out of state investors are investing in the Indy market
Why remotely invest in Indiana real estate from outside of the area, and how? Remote real estate investing is not new, neither is remote investing in Indiana but what is new is the volume of investors wanting to invest in the Indiana real estate market. Today we'll...
What kind of insurance do I need when flipping houses and rehabbing properties? Remember that video I made where a house got burned down and the investor was NOT covered and lost about $20,000? Don't let that happen to you, in this video we'll go over what kind of...
What real estate investors need to know about money transfers, remote closing and wiring money. Whether you are doing remote closings as a passive investor or not, you and your team need to know te details of how title companies handle closings and money transfers. I...
Can you help me buy Indianapolis turnkey rental and investment properties? What’s Indy turnkey mean?
What is Indy Turnkey PASSIVE real estate investing and how I get started? If you want to invest in Indiana real estate passively, whether you are local or from out of the state, then the single biggest challenge you will have is building your team. In this class I'll...
When I'm selling a house after making major repairs, what do I need to disclose to the buyer? As a real estate investor who is flipping houses you will be on both sides of a transaction sometimes as the buyer and other times as the seller. When you are a seller,...
How I made $5 million drinking and whoring every night? How to grow a company from zero to over 100M
How to take a company from zero to $100 million, and make $5 million in the process. 52 tips number one. This is the first of 52 upcoming tips on passive income, today we will talk about the lesson "Always Get Equity" and how it relates to create a passive $10,000...
What do I say when people ask me what I do? Here's how to introduce yourself with words that IMPACT, compliance and people eating out of the palm of your hand. The distance between where your business is and where you want it to be is all in your WORDS, your...
Book review: Shoe Dog by Phil Knight (founder or Nike), books and lessons for real estate investors.
Book Review of Shoe Dog by Nike Founder Phil Knight. Phil Knight was the co-founder of Nike and has a net worth of about $25 billion, he wrote Shoe Dog as a guide through his journey. Today's book review will be for Shoe Dog , the lessons from it and how they apply...
Real life BRRRR example with Indy duplex, Indianapolis rentals from out of state for passive income?
Here's a real life example of the BRRRR method being used with an Indy duplex. This is a real life example of the BRRRR method being used with an Indy duplex. Today we'll go over all the costs in closing, repairing, renting, etc. Later we will also follow up on this...
Landlords: 10 ways to tenant-proof your properties so they are indestructible, best repairs for landlords to make
The best repairs for landlords to make for rentals that are tenant proof. As a landlord one of the most important decisions you'll make is what repairs to make to your rentals. If you do this correctly you'll increase your lifetime ROI, your equity positions and...
How much does the BRRRR Method cost? How can I calculate my monthly payment with BRRRR? Indy example
What are the REAL costs of doing the BRRRR method, a real life example breakdown. As an investor, the process of buying/refinancing (the BRRRR method) is something that you want to be familiar with. There is a LOT of misleading and inaccurate information online about...
10 questions to ask property managers, how to find good Indianapolis property management for rentals.
Indianapolis property management help - how to find a good property manager in Indy. If you are an out of state landlord who owns rentals in the Indianapolis market then you already know how important good property management to your ROI. Today I'll go over 10...
How to create 10k/mo passive income with Indy duplexes, why do we buy 200k duplexes in Indianapolis?
Indianapolis Turnkey Passive Income: how to make $10,000 in passive income with Indy duplexes? If you want to invest in Indianapolis real estate and create passive income then you MUST watch this class. I'll go over the exact math and explain exactly how and why we...
Copywriting for real estate investors: how to make an extra $2,000/week by writing 500 word articles
Copywriting for real estate investors: how to make an extra $2,000 a week writing 500 word articles for lead generation. As a real estate investor one of the single most profitable things that you'll ever learn is how to write copy. Today we will go over a simple way...
Book review of The Progress Principle by Teresa Amabile and Steven Kramer, books for real estate ppl
Book Review of The Progress Principle. Today's one page book review is of the book The Progress Principle by Teresa Amabile and Steven J. Kramer. We will talk about the book, the best lessons I got from it and how it applies for real estate investors and business...
How to find the best title companies for real estate wholesaling, nine questions investors should ask.
Nine questions real estate wholesalers can ask to find the best title companies for wholesaling. Your success in real estate relies on your skill in building your team and part of that team is your title company. Not all title companies are the same so here are nine...
This is why wholesaling is becoming illegal, real life examples of what NOT to do as a real estate wholesaler
Examples of what NOT to do as a real estate wholesaler and why wholesaling is becoming illegal. There are many laws around real estate wholesaling that are changing. These changes in laws are a result of LC wholesalers doing things wrong so all real estate investors...
How to wholesale real estate with no money? What is real estate wholesaling? Real estate investing for beginners, wholesale zero to 100k/month?
How any real estate investor can wholesale houses with no money, real estate wholesaling for beginners.
How to trade SIGNS (neon yellow hand-written signs) for the mansion of your dreams. For years the folks on my team have been doing this, I KNOW how this sounds but I promise that I'll explain everything and YES you really can go buy the house of dreams and get a...
Book review of Overachievement by Jon Eliot, books for real estate investors to learn from and apply
Book review of "Overachievement" by John Eliot John Eliot wrote Overachievement to study different approaches to exceptional performance. This is another one page "Quantum Book Review" where Azam sums up a book in a few paragraphs and explains the top lessons that...
Indianapolis real estate investing for beginners, nine things every investor should know about the Indy market. Here's a breakdown of the Indianapolis real estate market for a total beginner and newbies. Here are nine things every real estate investor should know...
Indianapolis property management for landlords and investors in/out of the state. Indianapolis property management is one of the most important things that ANY investor in the Indy real estate market needs to know about. Getting your rentals to produce efficiently...
Landlords: here's how to set up ACH payments so that you get automatic monthly rent payments. As a landlord you should know how to set ACH payments to get rent payments automatically every month. In this class we'll talk about how to set your bank account up so that...
Landlords: Nine ways to get automatic rent payments by getting your tenants to sign up for ACH. As a landlord you want to get your tenants to sign up for ACH so you get your rent payments automatically. To do this you need their permission. Here are nine ways to...